Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General question about pro-sumer drone footage

Hey all,

I am about to take to the plunge on buying a decent(ish) drone, thinking Mavic or Phantom 4 but I have a question.

I have been learning to fly using a cheap as chips $100 drone with very basic video capabilities. Needless to say the video quality wasn't good but I put it down to the low quality camera etc. Clarity, colour accuracy and resolution aside, the main issue I have is blocky/jerking footage when flying through "busy" scenes.

Whilst researching the Mavic I came across this video and the camera on the Mavic seems to have the same issue (best seen full screen):
    https://youtu.be/hMhVJ1IcIiY?t=134

Is this problem an issue inherent to the cameras used in most pro-sumer drones?
    Is it just par for the course until you get into drones that are capable of carrying external GH4's or 5D's?

Any thoughts and comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

James
    Last edited by James Carpenter; 02-09-2017, 06:28 AM.

Have you seen out of camera footage or just youtube video? Blocky/jerky may be compression...
    I think lotsa folks are teetering on the the edge, wanting/buying !
    Carbonized Member

Comment

Al MacLeod may be carbonized, he has a point. I think the footage in the youtube film is altered in some way.

I have a phantom 3 pro and the image is crisp clear and sharp on a big 4K screen.

This drone is one of the cheapest and best investments I made.
      Peter Bosman

Comment

I had a P3 and P4 but image quality wasn't good intim I got the P4Pro.

Comment

From my experience, any macroblocking and general mushiness from video footage is usually due to a "weak" codec along with the compression combination. The "prosumer" designation - even on camcorders - often means you're shooting on a delivery format.
          I returned my Mavic because of a problem with the lens itself, but I also think the 60mb h.264 can be a little thin for certain busy scenes - like moving water and/or foliage.
          I'm much more satisfied with the 100mb you can record with the P4pro - but of course, it's still a compromise as well.
          Judging footage online - looking specifically for compression artifacts - is probably an educated guess at best.

Comment

Originally posted by markfpv View Post
            ...but I also think the 60mb h.264 can be a little thin for certain busy scenes - like moving water and/or foliage....
            Hmm, this could be of concern for me then as I plan on using it as a "perspective" to compliment wildlife film-making. There will be lots of moving water and forestry shots.
            In your opinion, would you consider the limited bit-rate on the Mavic (considering my intended usage) as a reason to go with a P4Pro instead?

Comment

Probably my short answer - without knowing your situation exactly: If you are hobbyist... the Mavic will likely make you happy for your first drone. If you are Pro - and want more options (i.e. the ability to set an f stop) - then I feel like the pro is completely worth the larger size and extra dough.

Comment

It will be my first "proper" drone, but i will be using to get footage for clients. I'm thinking the P4P might be a better option mainly due to the cleaner looking footage.
                Thanks for your help all!

Comment

Working...
                X