4GB File Size Limit - Windows Movie Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4GB File Size Limit - Windows Movie Maker

When using Windows Movie Maker to capture footage, it won't let me capture anything over 4GBs. Does anyone know how I can get this to capture longer?
    http://www.myspace.com/deathbyflypaper

You need to check to see if your hard drive is formatted into fat 32. It has a limit of 4gb file sizes

Comment

Probably would need to re-format your HDD to NTFS would be my guess. Never used movie maker though. Seems weird that capture would stop though. Should just create a 'filename-1' or something and keep going.

Accept No Imitations.
      www.dvxuser.com | www.reduser.net | www.scarletuser.com | www.dvxfest.com
      and...
      www.BMCuser.com - The Online Community for Blackmagic Camera users.
      Filmmaking Communities powered by Landmine Media, Inc.

Comment

Yeah, it's formatted for FAT32. I'm not sure how to convert it over to NTFS.

The thing is, I've just completed a film that's 30 minutes. I edited it in Avid Xpress Pro, but I'm not able to export a good quality version on Avid. So, what I had been doing in the past with shorter films, I would send it to a DV tape in Avid and then capture it back into the computer in Windows Movie Maker because it would save it as an AVI file at good quality. However, this one is too large for me to do that.

Comment

What's your delivery for your film you cut in AVID. Better to try to get a decent output through it then to mess around with movie maker. What is your intended delivery for it?

Jason

Accept No Imitations.
          and...

Comment

I want to burn to DVD, however I don't have Sorenson squeeze. I have the student version of Avid Xpress Pro, so it didn't come with everything. Whenever I export with Avid, the best look comes from the Quicktime Reference file. However, it leaves progressive lines throughout the image. I had seen this on Final Cut when using DVD Studio Pro, but when the DVD was created, the progressive lines were gone when played on the TV. This isn't the case with my system.

Comment

Yeah. You should only see the interlacing going on with your computer monitor or other Progressive displays. When viewing on an interlaced tv, you won't. Is your footage interlaced or progressive?

You just need to render out an mpeg2 and use some authoring software to burn it. If you don't have any decent authoring software, you could download the trial version of dvd workshop or something...

Anyways, if you are burning an interlaced dvd, those lines won't show up on a regular tv... If they are, you might have your field order backwards in your project settings or something. You would be looking for 'lower field' or 'upper field'. Try the other. Beyond that, I'm not familiar with AVID, so I can't help ya' there. Sorry.

Concerning converting/reformatting your HDD to NTFS. The easiest way is to reformat, but you will lose all of your data. There is a way to convert over, but it's not guaranteed to work properly. A google search will give you more info than I can about that.

But, my opinion is that you just need to figure out what it is you are doing wrong in AVID.

Jason

Accept No Imitations.
              and...

Comment

Thanks! I will look and see about the field settings. I appreciate your help!

Comment

FAT32 Size:

Originally posted by SilverWolf
                  You need to check to see if your hard drive is formatted into fat 32. It has a limit of 4gb file sizes
                  Not to be contrary (although some might consider it "picky"), I've found tech papers on the web stating that FAT32 can, in fact, be set to use up to 2 TB, not 4 GB.

From what I've read, a limit of less than 2 TB is something that MS imposed on it's implementation of the "Format" command in Windows. If memory serves, (no pun intended), the 4 GB limit is for XP, while earlier versions of Windows had even lower limits. There are non-Windows/non-Microsoft ways of obtaining sizes larger than 4 GB. I suspect that is how Panasonic accommodates larger-than-4 GB partitions on hard drives for offloading it's larger-than-4 GB P2 cards. I suspect that is why hard drives used for offloading P2 footage MUST be formatted through the camera rather than a computer.

x
                  "If ya' don't know...ask!"

Comment

I wasn't referring to the partition size I was referring to the actual largest single file size in fat32 and that is 4gb.

Comment

I've converted from FAT32 to NTFS without reformatting before. Worked fine for me, but it took forever...

Here's Microsoft's info page on it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881
                      Tony Lovasco
                      Twisted Lincoln, Inc.
                      www.twistedlincoln.com

Comment

Working...
                      X