DVD Analyzing/Reconstruction Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Analyzing/Reconstruction Software?

Hi all. I’m looking to find software that will open and look at a DVD, show me what files are and do what, and make changes to them directly, without having to re-author a DVD. That sentence sounded a little confusing, so let me explain:

I have a ton of work on DVDs, properly encoded, playing properly. What happens if I want to change say, just the menu, or just the intro animation? I don’t have the original DV files backed up in some instances, but do have all the tapes. But the hassle of editing everything again (in the instances where I did not backup the project files), rebuilding menus, recreating motion graphics and other elements in the video, would be almost not worth it. Especially if all I want to do is revamp the menus or put in a newer company logo animation.

I know about the .vob, .ifo, and .bup files, as well as their functions. Ideally, I would like to have a way to edit just the .ifo and .bup files to support any addons or rebuilt elements.

I realize you can import .vob files into many NLEs and Compositors, but that entails re-rendering everything. The loss of quality is an issue, as is storage space. I shudder to think of rendering out lossless to avoid generational degredation to retain quality, and many project I have worked on are in excess of 2 hours. And it’s not really even necessary, if I could simply tell a DVD authoring program to rebuild only certain elements.

Yes, I can also import .vob files directly into a DVD authoring program, but since .vob files are rendered in .99 Gig chunks, that means a separate timeline for each file, which means a pause in playing that shouldn’t be there.

Is there software that can look at the contents of a DVD and take the .vob files that are graphics and menus and create/alter the .ifo files to still play the DVD properly?

Or, am I complete nerbling for wanting to go this route anyway? It just seems once something has been transcoded and looks and plays great, why mess with rerendering when all you want is a new menu, but don’t have the original DVD authoring project file or asset material?

Thanks for any help.
    "One. . . Two. . . FIVE!"
    "Thre Sir"
    "THREE!"

It aint the colors man, it's the LUMINOSITY.

matt g. i think i can help you. depending on what software you use (im sure many apps are similiar) but i just did a tutorial on lynda.com about this very thing. well different but it will help. under the file, there is something called a project manager.... you can make an offline project, and it knows any clips recorded from firewire. as long as you lable your tapes correctly, if you are ever going back it will say load this tape and recapture ONLY the clips you asked it to capture. do the tuts if you can. they helped me alot

Comment

Working...
    X