No announcement yet.

Moving footage from an old drive help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s a good idea, though need to ensure the transformer is supplying proper power for the 2 drive enclosure unit and not a single drive unit.

Comment

depending on how important the data on the drive you either contact the manufacture and buy the oem power adapter for the enclosure. If they don't sell it any more you buy it used on ebay or buy a third party power adapter that matches the specs of the enclosure. A last option suggested by NorBro is open the enclosure and power the drives directly using the 5 pin molex plugs on each drive. You can buy splitters and extended cables out of your computer as a temporary solution to get the data off. There's also probably independant 5 pin power adapters you can buy off Amazon. But this is a messy solution if you want to use the enclosure on a regular basis.
      Last edited by Peter C.; 05-03-2021, 07:12 PM.

Comment

The drive was made pre-Industrial Revolution, so finding the original adapter may be difficult (but maybe not the entire drive on eBay...with the adapter).

It uses the following power adapter (if it's indeed a G-SATA drive as the OP mentioned), which is used for a fewer different products of theirs: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ID_G_SATA.html

Matches the specs of several eBay and Amazon ones except the 3A spec (which I'm just noticing now...I see 1-1.5A).

But some of them still say they are compatible with the one above and mention its part number: 0G00102

Comment

there are a lot of these drives sold on ebay that probably use the same adapter for around $40. Buy one just for the power adapter.

Comment

That would be best if one could really be found for $40. Pay an extra $20 for a drive.

The power molex is 4-pin, BTW...not like it matters much though as this entire thread is confusing as heck because there are two different conversations taking place about one drive and then about two drives in a RAID...entailing a variety of [some completely opposite] solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
              That would be best if one could really be found for $40. Pay an extra $20 for a drive.

The power molex is 4-pin, BTW...not like it matters much though as this entire thread is confusing as heck because there are two different conversations taking place about one drive and then about two drives in a RAID...entailing a variety of [some completely opposite] solutions.
              4 or 5 pin doesn't matter I meant use what ever the standard found inside a pc to power hard drives. doesn't matter if its a raid or not power the drives and buy an esata to usb cable adapter. get the data off
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/17475198346...AAAOSwTF1gjBum

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
                4 or 5 pin doesn't matter I meant use what ever the standard found inside a pc to power hard drives. doesn't matter if its a raid or not power the drives and buy an esata to usb cable adapter. get the data off
                https://www.ebay.com/itm/17475198346...AAAOSwTF1gjBum
                Yeah, in that case it indeed does not matter if you do not wish to be accurate.

(Because if you were the only one who answered he might be looking for a 5-pin molex for his 4-pin drives.)

And that's a 4-pin for a G-Raid2...I actually said good find before I double-checked it.

___

What are the chances of getting 4-pin and 5-pin mixed up in two different ways in one thread? LOL

I know...we have way too much time on our hands.

Comment

I think, because the drive is already open, I should just try to get the data myself. This drive is ancient, so I’ll never use it again. I just don’t know exactly what I need to do and exactly how to hook it up to my iMac. If someone could walk me through the connections and the needed gear, dumb it down, that would be amazing. I appreciates everyone’s input. You guys have been so helpful. I am only confused because there’s a lot of suggestions. I know that’s my fault for not showing pictures to begin with. But now that you see that I have a dual drive raid, what do I do.
                  Last edited by thefilmaddict; 05-04-2021, 03:59 AM.
                  What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

Comment

I’ll simplify things:
                    1. Buy a power adapter for the enclosure
                    https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-G-...132242&sr=8-8#

2. Buy esata to usb cable

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
                      I’ll simplify things:
                      1. Buy a power adapter for the enclosure
                      https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-G-...132242&sr=8-8#

2. Buy esata to usb cable
                      Dude, you keep recommending the wrong things.

That is a 4-pin power adapter for the second generation of their enclosures. He needs a 5-pin power adapter for the original ones. (Not to be confused with a 4-pin molex.)

Comment

This image shows where I am currently at...DRIVE-HELP.jpg

Comment

Warning: If you move forward with this, you risk losing all of your data. HIGHLY RECOMMEND you purchase the 5-pin power adapter and eSATA cables.

If you still would like to try it, gently unplug all of the connections in the top drive (be mindful of static) and look at the picture below and connect the shapes like toddlers do in those brain IQ tests...

Spin the adapter around and visually confirm which side would fit into the drive there (SATA). Use light so you can see.

If the adapter doesn't fit inside the enclosure, you will have to take the drive out of the enclosure (further complicating matters).

Once the pieces all fit, plug the USB from the adapter into your computer. If the drive does not power up, let me know and we'll take it from there.

Adapter.jpg
                          Last edited by NorBro; 05-04-2021, 06:32 AM.

Comment

P.S. The B&H one I guessed you have is the exact one...but all you had to do was send the model number #910005-01 from the beginning!

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                              P.S. The B&H one I guessed you have is the exact one...but all you had to do was send the model number #910005-01 from the beginning!
                              I apologize!

Comment

I just ordered the power supply and the cables. The only thing I don't quite get is how am I connecting both drives at the same time and how will my iMac understand that these two drives are raid zero?

Comment

Working...
                                X