Moving footage from an old drive help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving footage from an old drive help

I am backing up a bunch of old drives today. Most of them have usb connections. My oldest one is made by g-tech. It’s called the g-sata 1000. It has 2 ports on the back of it labeled serial ata. I can’t remember if I used to use this with a mac or a pc. It may have had a card with it that went into the computer, not 100 percent sure. But I need to figure out how to connect it to an iMac using usb or thunderbolt 3. Any ideas?
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

You would need an external adapter. esata to whatever you have now on your mac.

Comment

How about a picture of the back of the drive/connections?

An adapter like this should most likely work: https://www.amazon.com/EYOOLD-USB-Co.../dp/B073SB3PD4

Comment

IMG_5380.jpg
        Originally posted by NorBro View Post
        How about a picture of the back of the drive/connections?
        IMG_5380.jpgIMG_5380.jpgIMG_5380.jpg
        An adapter like this should most likely work: https://www.amazon.com/EYOOLD-USB-Co.../dp/B073SB3PD4

Comment

IIRC, you could use a dual cable like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters.../dp/B00VJ9V8NY

And plug it into the 4-pin power port in an adapter like the one mentioned above.

If that doesn't work, take the drive out of the enclosure (if you feel comfortable with it...it's done all the time and that's what I did in the past) and it will most definitely work with just the adapter above.

Ideally you'd only use a dual SATA to USB, but I can't find any of those.

Comment

I'm also realizing it has a weird 5 pin power supply which I can't find. Painful. I wish I backed this up a long time ago. Thank you guys for your help!

Comment

It's much easier when you take the drive out, there's nothing to it. (A lot of drives needed to be powered separately back then.)

But it's all just another example of how messy technology was for like 50 years...but that's what makes it beautiful and it has so much history!

Comment

If I take the drive out, I'll just need this: https://www.amazon.com/EYOOLD-USB-Co.../dp/B073SB3PD4
                and
                will I still need to find a power cable or would the computer power it at that point?
                Thanks for the clarification.

Just wondering because I'm sure if I pull it out of it's casing, it will be difficult to connect a power supply?

Comment

That Amazon adapter has/comes with its own power supply so it would power the drive and you'd use the USB3 in your Mac (I'm assuming you have USB3 as another thread of yours mentioned using older Macs).

Comment

I have a 2019 iMac.

Comment

Yeah...old.

lol, j/k.

Should work fine; inexpensive/returnable to at least try but I'm confident it will work.

Comment

Originally posted by NorBro View Post
                        Yeah...old.

lol, j/k.

Should work fine; inexpensive/returnable to at least try but I'm confident it will work.
                        As always, thanks for your help!

Comment

Funny, I was just doing this today with some old drives. This is what I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-...dp_ob_title_ce

+1 for just pulling it out of the enclosure and using something like this.

Comment

IMG_5381.jpg

Here's what it looks like opened up. It appears to be two stacked drives. Will that change how I hook it up?

Comment

No, you would just use one individually at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X