Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPNola
    replied
    I have stacks of travel drives that contain the files from the shoots I do.

The question about takes only applies to those involved in post ( Editorial ) which isn’t me or most on this forum, from what I can glean about other users. I keep everything, since I do not know what will be selected as the desired “takes”.

I keep a copy even after the client has confirmed that they have the footage and I should wipe the backup in my possession. I’ve had clients instruct me to wipe the backup only to later reach out in a panic asking if by chance I kept the copy.

Leave a comment:

• Luis Caffesse
    replied
    I've been shooting for (cough cough) years and have kept every frame of footage from everything I've ever shot.
    I'm not sure how handy its been - but as Morgan said above, the weeding process is too time consuming.
    I've found it's easier just to keep everything.

That said - I do usually media manage projects so that I have a streamlined version of the final cut (either that or I'll create a multichannel prores master with textless elements for easier future changes, etc).

(but really I'm just lazy and don't want to go through and pick and choose)

Leave a comment:

• morgan_moore
    replied
    The weeding process is too time consuming.

Charge the client for a 2tb on every shoot!

Leave a comment:

• Publimix
    replied
    I use 8 TB backup HDD's, I save all takes except realy bad ones.

Leave a comment:

• orange
    started a topic Save not used footage

Save not used footage

Hi folks, when I've done a short film project (or any film project of importance), I save all the takes, the complete footage of the production, "just in case". The benefit - if someone discovers any error or someone asks for a new cut, I'd have everything there to work with. Disadvantage - lots of hard drive space needed.
    How do others do? Do you only save the used takes? Just curious.
Working...
X