Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Definitive Guide to Davinici Resolve 15 - official BlackMagic training materials.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greg_E
    replied
    If you are barely functional with any NLE, then should get some decent value out of this first book.

Leave a comment:

• robfilms
    replied
    greg-

thank you for the posts and links.

i am barely functional in fcpx.

but i would welcome the opportunity to switch over to resolve as my main edit platform.

i downloaded all of the available pdfs.

i look forward to working my way through the course material.

again, thanks!

thumbs up.

rob
    smalltalk productions/nyc

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    Pushing this back to the top... I've typed out my thoughts for the remaining sections and my thoughts on this exam.

VERY happy that they have this training available! Very happy it is FREE! Looking forward to the Color Correction book next. Then I'll probably hit the Advanced Editing book and leave Fairlight until later.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    I finished reading the book, but haven't gone through the last few lab activities. It's still all really basic stuff, but some good info on the basic tools for those that have not used Resolve before.

I've looked at some of the videos, and they do not track the books. Though that may not be a bad thing as there might be good stuff in consuming both types of tutorial.

I'll get my thoughts on the final sections for this first book when I have time to complete the exercises and take the test.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    OK guys, no more excuses... BMD just made this even more accessible! These books are now available for download in PDF FOR FREE!. I was just about to order the color correction book for $50, now I'll just have to charge up my little Android tablet and copy the files to it.

Currently available at https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/pro...solve/training :

Definitive Guide
    Intro to Fairlight
    Color Correction

Coming soon is Advanced Editing

I also asked on the BMD forums how closely the BMD official videos track these books, if they track the same, then the videos would be good supplements to the PDF files.

I'll continue the review as I get time to go through more chapters, but the next section is about 100 pages and probably 4 to 5 hours of time to really go through it. This is another chapter where I expect to learn a lot and therefore enjoy the topic more than the first couple of chapters.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    Got the Fusion section finished, learned a bit on this chapter.

Also the Color correction/grading book just landed on Amazon for those interested https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1732756937/ I'll buy it when I check on some other stuff I want to add to the order.

And I was told by one of the training support people that the rest of the courses should be on Amazon in the next month:

Advanced Editing
    Fusion

Keep track of the training website to see what is out and links to buy them. It appears these are Amazon published books which may be why they are not on other book buying sites. If you are into electronic books, the Kindle versions are dirt cheap!

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    Very interesting... on the BM page for training, all the not yet finished "courses" are gone, the remaining two are the book I'm using and the Fairlight book that I also bought. There is rumor of version 16 at NAB, and this may herald the update, even though no beta version is out yet.

The book I'm working through definitely has some button groups in different places on the screen, I bet they wrote it based on the beta version of 15, or based on 14. Maybe it's time Resolve slowed on the massive UI changes and just worked on bugs and feature additions, would be easier to issue an addendum.

The Fusion chapter (yes only one) is taking longer than the suggested time, but some of that was with changes to the software settings to get it working faster. I need more RAM if I'm going to be doing much in Fusion, or probably color.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    Part 2 done, nothing mind blowing but decent basic skills. Remember this is an introduction book whether they specified this in the title or not.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    The editing did not deal with multicam or syncing things to markers or with timecode on an audio track. It was mentioned but that must be a topic for the not yet available advanced editing book.

Leave a comment:

• Joshua_G
    replied
    Hi Greg,
    Thanks for the review.
    Have you compared the book to video trainings, like the Ripple Training ones?
    Does the editing section deals with multicam editing?

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    Finished the video editing section last night and so far all but one thing can be done in the free version (and the book warns about that one thing). Starting on the audio section when I can, have to check out our local "film hub" tonight and see what's what there. Like to think I could pick up a job here or there through them, but not sure at this point.

Overall, the editing portion is a good intro to what you can do. I think there are a few important things left out or not detailed that would be useful, but overall a good intro.

The Fairlight section is actually labeled as an intro (single chapter after all), and I do have their book on Fairlight waiting until I finish this current book and pass my certification exam.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    The exam... Nothing real hard, a few tricky bits of wording. Biggest bit of advice is to use the "Review Later" check box in the upper right corner of each question (I didn't but will next time). This gives you the chance to think about your answer while you go through the test, then come back to those question before you hit finish. Take your time, you have an hour.

What I don't like is that they don't show you the questions you get wrong.

But in the end, I passed. I'll take more time on the next course, didn't get the kind of score I should be getting. The more focused courses should review a little of each section.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 02-11-2019, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    Media and database management... Another really short section, not a lot of detail and some parts are different (making an archive). Hopefully more time will be spent on these in the advance editing book. Didn't really come away with much info, felt like this section was rushed.

I should also mention that this section is the only section where my computer crashed, and did it numerous times! Think there is a bug in the project manager on Windows 10.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 02-11-2019, 07:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    Delivering a project... They didn't spend much time on this. Really only covered an encoded output with Vimeo presets and an EXR for SFX. Kind of disappointed with this section, really short and not a lot of meat.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 02-11-2019, 07:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Greg_E
    replied
    The Color chapters. They talk a bit about color theory, and the theory of operations in the Color section. A little detail on best practices, things like balance the image on the first node, then do additional grading on more downstream nodes. Some power windows, some track of power windows. A bit of chang the color of an object along with using the qualifier to select an object. Inverse masks to preserve fleshtones while grading the rest of the frame. Good solid basics again. It was enough to get me to buy an Avid Artist Color panel (used), I'll not be mousing around in the Color Correction book (next on my list).

All in all, a good 3 chapters for anyone new to Resolve.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 02-11-2019, 07:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X