Amazon Cloud Storage to backup footage and projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon Cloud Storage to backup footage and projects

As an Amazon prime member I've been given a few months of free unlimited storage on Amazon's new cloud storage system. Messing with the interface and being relatively impressed with the upload speeds after uploading a few projects I'm considering using this as my primary backup (figure for 60 a year it's cheeper than buying up drives for backup). Does anyone use a cloud based solution to backup footage and/or old projects or is it just too risky to use as a primary backup?

Cheap should be lower on the list of deciding factors for backup. No one can answer this question as no one knows the future vulnerability of these types of services. One would expect Amazon to be significantly learned in the security arts. But it only takes one hack at Amazon and it is gone. However, if your backup is gone, but your primary is still valid, you can always restore the backup.

Since my recent experience with ransomware (see my post in the Cafe), I will now be doing dual backups on offline drives.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Just saw this after posting in Paul's thread on other online backup solutions....

I'll add here that combining Dropbox with an online backup solution makes backing up while travelling a simple and automatic process. While living in China over the past couple of years I kept all my work inside of the local Dropbox folder, which would sync (over VPN of course) to a computer in the US running Dropbox. That computer was backed up using Backblaze. As my Dropbox account got close to full, I'd remote in to the US computer (Teamviewer!) and move them from the Dropbox folder to other folders.
      sigpic

http://www.keylightdigital.com

Comment

While I don't need backup on the road, your suggestions are a good idea even for us that have one location. Geographical diversity when backing up is a great defense against physical catastrophes such as theft, storm, and fire.
        Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

Comment

Data doesn't exist unless you have at least 3 copies in 3 different locations.

Comment

Working...
          X