Need to convert .MXF files for use in Vegas. Think they came from Avid`

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to convert .MXF files for use in Vegas. Think they came from Avid`

Okay, first off -- SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS PLEASE don't bother posting a reply here with info and links to your AMAZING converter software. I'm not that stupid, OK?

Now for all you GOOD people...

I've got bogged down in an editing project and I need to go to the original footage. (Long story.) I think the footage has been through several editors, at least one of whom was using FCP on a Mac. I use Vegas Pro 8.0c on a PC.

So I've got these .MXF files. They might have come from the FCP editor, I don't know. Or they could have come from an Avid editor. I have no contact with any of the previous editors, so I'm on my own.

They won't load directly into Vegas, obviously. I've installed a trial version of Avid Media Composer 5.5, but it can't seem to handle them either. (I run Windows XP, by the way.)

So anybody know how I can get these files converted to something I can use? The original footage was shot on a DVX100a, so it's just SD stuff. Any help would be mega-appreciated!
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

Considering you have no idea of the origin and source of the clips...you may just have to trial and error some mxf converters.

A quick "mxf converter" Google search.... indicated there are many.

or ...you could see if Premiere CS5.5 will do the business for you.
    www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Why can't Avid handle it?

Try this:

1. Drag all of the MXF files you have into the Avid MediaFiles > 1 folder
      2. Use Media Tool and tell it to look for media in all projects
      3. That should make all of your MXF files show up in a window
      4. Make a new bin and drag the clips you want over
      5. Create a sequence. Drag all of the clips from that bin into the sequence. Export to format of your choice.

Or... try Calibrated {Q} MXF import. Why is it a scam, BTW? It's not expensive at all if you're being paid a decent rate for the project. Or pass on the bill to the client, since they can't seem to give you files in the format you need.

Or of course, just stay in Avid and edit it there. It's a nice editor

Bruce Allen
      www.boacinema.com

Comment

Bruce, I didn't say that Calibrated {Q} MXF import is a scam specifically. But in the past we've had a LOT of spammers post here trying to push file converter programs. They get deleted by the mods every single time. I was just trying to avoid wasting everyone's time with that stuff.

I can't just edit in Avid because I'm only using the 30-day free trial in an effort to get these files converted.

I can't just "pass the bill on to the client" because I'm doing this for free to help a friend.

I will try the steps you suggested for Avid. Thanks for that!
        David W. Richardson
        Chapel Grove Films
        Celtic Cross Films
        Bliss Video Productions

Comment

Okay, did that. No new window with files. It did what appeared to be a search, which took no more than 1 second.
          David W. Richardson
          Chapel Grove Films
          Celtic Cross Films
          Bliss Video Productions

Comment

Avid's not being a 'nice editor' for me. I was finally able to get some MXF files in a window in Avid using the Media Tool. But when I drag/drop to a bin, I get a popup telling me that items are set not to display in the bin. I checked the bin display settings, put a checkmark beside everything, and all it shows me is some .DF file -- no .MXF files. Trying to do something with that when Avid crashes.

Any ideas?
            David W. Richardson
            Chapel Grove Films
            Celtic Cross Films
            Bliss Video Productions

Comment

Got the Media Tool bin showing the .MXF files, but they won't drag/drop into another bin. When I try, nothing happens. (No message this time.) If I try to Import straight from the hard drive (File > Import), I get a message that says "You cannot import this file into a bin. See the documentation for information about transferring media files." The only documentation I have is the online Help, and it's fairly useless on this subject.
              David W. Richardson
              Chapel Grove Films
              Celtic Cross Films
              Bliss Video Productions

Comment

Well that's weird if avid has compatibility issues with it. Maybe the files are damaged ?

What kind of compression is used ? If you don't know, download a tool called mediainfo (be careful, it's freeware but there is adware, but make sure you uncheckmark the box when installing it)

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Comment

You're dragging over those little clips (with film strip icon) that the Media Tool found?

BTW - what else does the Media Tool say about the files it found? All of the metadata should be there - project, timecode, etc. That's why Avid is usually so awesome. It's damn near impossible to lose your media connections.

Looks like the previous guys succeeded though! When they make it idiot proof... humanity just builds a better idiot.

Anyway, sounds really odd, like stuff is corrupt.

One other thing to try: drag the .mdb file (this is a database Avid generates when it senses new stuff has been dropped into Avid MediaFiles) directly from Avid MediaFiles into a bin?

Bruce Allen
                  www.boacinema.com

Comment

Why don't you just digitize the media from the original tapes?

I have to say, though, if this project has already been through several editors, there's something wrong. Not necessarily with the footage. You need to speak to the other editors to find out what happened. The odds are that you don't want to be on this project, either.
                    Post production is not an afterthought!
                    www.arniepix.com

Comment

The original tapes are gone, which is the reason why one of the editors is also gone.

After doing a lot of digging, trial and error, etc., I've had success. I learned you have to use the Media Tool to get a folder with all the files in it. But you can't then export files straight out of that folder -- you have to create a bin and drag/drop the files from the Media Tool folder into the bin. Then you can export the files out from that bin.

Now all that's left is to get the export settings tweaked. Thanks guys!
                      David W. Richardson
                      Chapel Grove Films
                      Celtic Cross Films
                      Bliss Video Productions

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Richardson View Post
                        The original tapes are gone, which is the reason why one of the editors is also gone.

After doing a lot of digging, trial and error, etc., I've had success. I learned you have to use the Media Tool to get a folder with all the files in it. But you can't then export files straight out of that folder -- you have to create a bin and drag/drop the files from the Media Tool folder into the bin. Then you can export the files out from that bin.

Now all that's left is to get the export settings tweaked. Thanks guys!
                        Yay - glad it worked!

It's DV, right?

Just export Quicktimes using Avid DV codec.

You could even do reference files (makes tiny Quicktimes that point back to the original .mxf) - but I'm guessing that at this point you want nothing more than for those .mxf files to burn in eternal fire, right?

Maybe make them self-contained, then...

Bruce Allen
                        www.boacinema.com

Comment

Bruce, for some reason I'm not seeing the Avid DV codec listed. I'm exporting as QuickTime uncompressed, which is working fine. And yes, the footage is DV. Media Tool shows it as "DV 25 411 (NTSC)".
                          David W. Richardson
                          Chapel Grove Films
                          Celtic Cross Films
                          Bliss Video Productions

Comment

See that "Same as Source" button? Hit that.

See that "Use Avid Codecs" button? Hit that too.

Then Avid will export using the Avid codecs, in the same format as the source. And people said Avid was hard to use!

Or if you don't hit "Use Avid Codecs" it should use the Quicktime DV codec I think.

Change to "Video and Audio" of course.

RGB or 601/709 Levels depends on whether you like your blacks and whites at 16-235 or 0-255.

Bruce Allen
                            www.boacinema.com

Comment

Well gee.....that worked! Thanks man!
                              David W. Richardson
                              Chapel Grove Films
                              Celtic Cross Films
                              Bliss Video Productions

Comment

Working...