Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Build a NLE Workstation for $4000 Budget or LESS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Build a NLE Workstation for $4000 Budget or LESS!

To all NLE workstation contributors:

I need your help to build a NLE workstation with the latest technology. I edit AVCHD footage and going to be upgrading to CS5.5 using Premiere Pro and After Effects for lower third animations/text animations and colour correction but may start doing more quick colour correction through Premiere Pro. I'd say about 70/30 ratio in terms of usage of each application. 90% of my work is short format 1-5 minute business videos with final output to WEB with H.264 codec.

The budget is $4000 for the workstation and monitor. Please help me put together a system that will perform fast/efficient for my workflow.

===========================

MOTHERBOARD?

CPU?

CPU COOLER?

GRAPHICS CARD?

MEMORY?

CASE?

INTERNAL RAID or EXTERNAL? Which Hard Disks? SSD FOR BOOT? Also, need an archiving solution for client projects for up to 1 year before deletion.

PSU (POWER SUPPLY UNIT)?

30" Monitor?

I am also looking for a more effective voice-over workflow. Currently, using Rode Video Mic Pro, recording to Zoom H1 and using card reader onto my computer. What do I need to improve the workflow?

If there is anything I may have over looked or you may might think will be beneficial to my workflow, please let me know.

Thanks in advance to everyone's generous contribution and I hope others may benefit from this posting as well!

Here you go
    http://videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videogu...ce243a6c6.aspx

http://videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videogu...167fbdbd7.aspx

Comment

For audio set up I think this is best and cheap setup with Adobe audition cs5.5,I am not an audio guy,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ewire_USB.html
      http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_Address.html

Comment

Originally posted by ipokeunow View Post
        To all NLE workstation contributors:

I need your help to build a NLE workstation with the latest technology. I edit AVCHD footage and going to be upgrading to CS5.5 using Premiere Pro and After Effects for lower third animations/text animations and colour correction but may start doing more quick colour correction through Premiere Pro. I'd say about 70/30 ratio in terms of usage of each application. 90% of my work is short format 1-5 minute business videos with final output to WEB with H.264 codec.

The budget is $4000 for the workstation and monitor. Please help me put together a system that will perform fast/efficient for my workflow.

MOTHERBOARD?

CPU?

CPU COOLER?

GRAPHICS CARD?

MEMORY?

CASE?

INTERNAL RAID or EXTERNAL? Which Hard Disks? SSD FOR BOOT? Also, need an archiving solution for client projects for up to 1 year before deletion.

PSU (POWER SUPPLY UNIT)?

30" Monitor?

I am also looking for a more effective voice-over workflow. Currently, using Rode Video Mic Pro, recording to Zoom H1 and using card reader onto my computer. What do I need to improve the workflow?

If there is anything I may have over looked or you may might think will be beneficial to my workflow, please let me know.

Thanks in advance to everyone's generous contribution and I hope others may benefit from this posting as well!
        Personally I'd say posting in a Computer oriented forum would be a help to you. Those geeks live to build new systems! Other than that, I'd venture that you may be hard pressed to do all you want here and do it with the latest tech AND keep it under $4k. Monitors for instance, in the latest tech iteration @ 30" can run half your budget or more depending on how critical you feel color management is. So with $4k to spend, you will be cutting corners here and there. Perhaps you don't go "latest-tech" and go, well "proved-tech", then you could be onto something. The system I have for instance was built in early 2010. It is for all practical purposes obsolete. But I made some purchases then and more recently that makes it work for me, quite well. The monitor I chose for instance is still a Pro-grade Monitor with writeable LUT's and so forth. I chose to forgo the size: 30" or what have you to get the quality in a size I could afford: 24" at the time pf purchase I saved something like $400 just by downsizing the monitor. $400 that was spent elsewhere. That Monitor was still over 1/4th of your budget. I chose a Nvidia Quadro FX3800, a $1k graphics card. And it in no way shape or form was worth the money spent. In fact it is the ONLY component that limits my Windows experience number. That sounds funny to a graphics person, "like who cares?", but think about it;I am scraping the top @ of Windows experience rating of 7.8 with the only exception: graphics, bringing it back down to 6.8. I could have spared myself about $700 of that grand and put into RAM. I did later, and now am maxxed out @24GB RAM. I spent truly about 4 hours between an Online chat with Nvidia and an engineer called me the following Monday to help with the card. Bottom line: If you read, re-read and pay no attention to the marketing hyperbole, you find that these cards are meant to be used in tandem or threes. Like I need to buy three of these stinkers?!

Take your time and post in Computer forums. Tell them exactly what you mentioned here, than repost for thoughts.
        tom wise

Comment

Go to the Adobe website & look at the system specs recommended for Premiere. Then make sure that your substantially above the minimum.

Also, don't forget to budget for a capture card & video monitor & pro speakers- another $3K or so.
          Post production is not an afterthought!
          www.arniepix.com

Comment

Once you get the specs for the componets you want, go over to avadirect.com and take a look at their configurator. Great company and support. They built mine two years ago with no problems with continuous use.

Edius 5.5, HDSPARK, Asus P6T Deluxe mobo, i7-920 processor, Antec 900-2 case, Corsair 650 watt p.s., Corsair 3GB XMS3 PC3-12800 DDR3, Sapphire HD4830, WD 160GB Caviar, 1TD WD Caviar Black, Lite-on IHAS324, Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium, Vista 32 bit, Amtron P2 card reader, Samsung LN19A330 HDTV
            Regards,

Mark

GH5, Panasonic 12-60, 14-45, 45-175, Olympus 60 macro, 75-300, Benro S6 Tripod, Rhino Carbon 24" Slider, and Edius 8.5 WG.
            Video channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/3523
            Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/mark29#1/2063

Comment

Working...
            X