No announcement yet.

What WOULD make a "jaw-dropping" NLE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking about this for days now. Something I always get hung up on is how early in the edit process when I am looking at a mountain of fresh footage, I want everything to be very fluid and dynamic. I want to throw stuff around haphazardly to help me find where it all fits together. In this way traditional 3 point editing and the notions or "timeline and tracks" get in my way. I want something more canvas like, something where I could take clips and maybe use a touch interface to get them where I want them to go and trimmed close enough for a rough.

But as soon as I move into audio editing and color correction and the refining stages of editing I want everything locked down, on tracks with like media, and organized so I can find what I want when I want quickly. I don't know yet how to reconcile this discrepancy.

Also I think it would be great to have a "search" feature for your timeline (or where ever your edited footage resides in the program).
    William Robinette

Comment

I've seen NLEs with "storyboard" functions where you can just lay clips around a canvas, and if you have them in a rough order, you can pop them over to a timeline automatically. Is that the sort of thing you mean?
      LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

There is a storyboard functionality in FCP 6 and 7.

You can control click on the project panel and switch to large icons. In the toolbar under the magnifying glass is the far right hand tool. This tool allows you to scrub thru the clip within the icon so you can set the icon picture.

You would then arrange your clips in the project panel in a rough storyboard reading across in rows. Select all the ones in the arrangement, hit the yellow envelope to send them to the timeline and they appear in that order.
        J.Davis
        jdMAX.com

Comment

Working...
        X