Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux editing software?

Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an FCP or Premiere equivalent for Linux (Preferably Ubuntu 10.10).

I've found Cinelerra, but am wondering if there are any others worth a serious look.

Sorry. There's nothing comparable to pro NLEs for Linux.

I've seen a few with a clever feature or two, but for overall functionality, nothing.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

You may want to take a look at kdenlive.

Regarding FCP/Premiere equivalent – forget about it. We are very few developers and we can only work in our spare time – It is just not possible to reach the same level of complexity with perhaps 1/1000 of their resources.
      Primes are optically faster, lighter, usually sharper, cheaper. Zooms are more convenient. If I am in a hurry, I'll use zooms. I'm rarely in a hurry. —PerroneFord
      Light Painting on video

Comment

There is actually some really good software but its part of hardware/software comes and costs as much as a RED package
        sigpic

Independent Filmmaker
        BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
        Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Yarbo View Post
          Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an FCP or Premiere equivalent for Linux (Preferably Ubuntu 10.10).

I've found Cinelerra, but am wondering if there are any others worth a serious look.
          What is it about Cinelerra that makes you think its an equivalent for FCP or Premiere?

Comment

Smoke Only $100,000.

Seriously, I've used Final Cut Pro and besides Autodesk's "turnkey" product (They won't sell you the software alone, except the Mac version. Otherwise they bundle the hardware and software together on a Linux computer) there's probably nothing that is as feature-rich, easy-to-use, and stable.

On the other hand, in the 1990's I used tape-to-tape editing, using my camcorder and a S-VHS deck. This allowed cuts only and two tracks of audio. I have also razor-bladed 16mm film. I can say then, that even PiTiVi, which comes with Ubuntu, is better than tape-to-tape or film splicing. I know that sounds silly, but at the time those were good enough for me to make dozens of movies. I have only messed around with it a little, but actually PiTiVi seems pretty good. It can do several tracks of video and audio, and fade in and out or between tracks. Honestly I got almost weepy when I thought how I worked so hard in the 90's doing tape-to-tape and how much easier it would have been with this free piece of software.

I'm not saying PiTiVi is the best. It's probably one of the simplest, since it is the default for Ubuntu. So I would just Google around and try some out. OpenShot looked promising, too.
            Last edited by combatentropy; 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Right now, the answer is no. But Editshare has purchased Lighworks, and they have a roadmap that includes porting it to Linux in the next year or 2.
              Post production is not an afterthought!
              www.arniepix.com

Comment

OpenShot is available in the official Ubuntu repo now so it's easy to get hold of and try out.

Comment

I also use Ubuntu 10.10 (at least, on one of my laptops), and the best editing software I have come across as of yet is kdenlive. Give it a try... it's in the Software Center.
                  e ver yb odyha saph ot ogr a ph icmem or y
                  som edo nthav ef ilm

Comment

Lumiera (Beta in near future)
                    Lightworks (port in near future)
                    Cinelerra (Now but buggy as all hell)

Comment

While looking for something else, I found out that OpenShot 1.4 recently got released yesterday. I read that the previous version, 1.3 released several months ago and that 1.4 is not only more stable, they fixed a lot of bugs from the previous version. Anyone care to try it and tell us how you think of it. I might in a few days when I get the chance.
                      http://www.openshotvideo.com/2011/09...ad-it-now.html

Comment

Blender has it's NLE built in, but it is far from a feature rich NLE such Final Cut. Blender itself is pretty unique in that it offers a combination of a very capable compositor, combined with a CG package, all of which can piped through a basic VSE and run on most platforms and computers. Editing anything complex in Blender is a bit of a trial, but it's still a useful tool.
                        Adrian

Comment

Editshare has announced that they expect to release a beta of Lightworks on Linux in December.

Scroll all the way down to the bottom for details: http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index....122&Itemid=263
                          Post production is not an afterthought!
                          www.arniepix.com

Comment

That'd be what you're looking for.

I wonder how the Lumiera kids are doing?

Comment

Working...
                            X