No announcement yet.

Photoshop Extraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thanks for your help but for some reason it still isnt working. I did exactly as you said and when I went to import the picture into the other program a white background showed up! This process sounds simple to do and for whatever reason I cannot master this for nothing.

Comment

When you're saving as a tiff, under tiff options make sure "save transparency" is checked.

Comment

FINALLY it worked! I don't think I was saving the transparency. Thanks Frizzle and Mino for your help today!

Now that I got that....what tool is best to use to smooth the edges or how to add a white border around the subject kinda like a drop shadow to make the foreground stick out? I tried the Blur tool but its adding color to the edges that I want to smooth out. In the Help section it said one way is to select Feather. However Feather is all greyed out and unclickable. I ended up selecting SHARPEN MORE which made it look a lot better but I still want some of the edges to be smoother.

Comment

once you have your object selected, then feather the selection before cutting it from the bacckfround. I usually use 1 as my feather, just enough to blur the edges a tiny bit.
          You can also feather the selection once it's pasted into a new layer. easy way to do that is choose the layer your object lives on, draw a selection box around it then switch to your move tool. Kick the object up one pixel with the up arrow and then down again one pixel to keep it registered. You object should now be selected. Now you can shrink the selection by one pixel, feather the edges, select inverse of selection and delete. That will remove the one pixel fringe you've created around the object. You ca also save the selection and load it time and time again to perfect how much feather you want to use to save you from clipping it out time and again.

Comment

hey, glad i was able to help! in order to make the subject stick out from the background, you can select your subject as before, feather and such to taste, then paste it on a new layer. keep the background this time. select your subject (which is on its own layer) and apply the unsharp mask filter. try 200% and .03 or so to begin with. then apply a gaussian blur to the background, and maybe even desaturate it slightly. don't know if this is what you're after, but it's a neat way to create a false DOF effect.

Comment

Working...
            X