Cubase Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cubase Question

I am using Cubasis VST and I'm having a problem. The transport bar shows signal in when I hook up a mic or instrument and play. But I cant get signal in the mixer window and nothing records. I have the "in" button down on the channel, and the enable button down. Nothing.

I run into a 4 trak then out into my sound card. Like I said, the software is getting signal, but not to the mixer. Any takers?

"...there is no magic, no mystery---just common sense and hard work" - Nestor Almendros

Visit my site at

Hooligan Nation Productions

Is the signal routed to the channel? Do you have monitor selected? Is it that you can see the levels in the channel but you just can't hear it? You need to tell me more.
    "If I've learned one thing, never hit on a girl before she takes off the puffy coat..."

Comment

I can't see the level in the mixer. It shows up in the transport bar (in), so I know the software recognizes the signal. It's been a whiile since I used this, so bear with me. I followed the instructions in the manual to the letter. My input is active, I named the channel and selected a folder, the monitor column is checked, I have it on an audio channel (not MIDI) and the input button on the mixer is down...What am I missing?

Thanks

"...there is no magic, no mystery---just common sense and hard work" - Nestor Almendros

Visit my site at

Comment

It's been forever since I've worked with VST (aren't we up to SX3, now?) but you still had to route the signal don't you? In other words, make sure that the track you are recording to is taking the input signal.

BTW, you did press the record button right?
        "If I've learned one thing, never hit on a girl before she takes off the puffy coat..."

Comment

Yea it's a few years old, but it always worked for me. Any money I'd use for an upgrade now gets dumped into gear for filmmaking.

I did route the signal, (at least as far as I understand that) checking it in both the inspector and in the arrangement window. I also pressed record while recording, but I should get signal in the mixer even if I'm not recording, as long as the signal is routed to the mixer...no?

Anyway, I've been through all the menus to try and find some glitch in my set up; something I turned on or off that I shouldn't have. I'm sure this is something stupid. I just haven't found it yet.

BTW, is your sig from Payback?

Visit my site at

Comment

Yep, Payback.

Comment

Highly under rated flick.

Visit my site at

Comment

I uninstalled the software, then re-installed, just in case I had screwed something up. I followed the set-up exactly as in the manual, and I have the same problem. Anybody have any suggestion?

Visit my site at

Comment

Okay, I've got that squared away (it was a soundcard setting issue), but now I am having a slight delay problem. The signal doesn't reach the mixer right away. If I record one track, then try to play along with it, I can't. There is a slight delay between what I have recorded and what I'm playing. Any thoughts?

Visit my site at

Comment

I think you're experiencing latency problems. What sound card are you running and how much ram do ya have?

I just got into cubase SX just almost a year now and I'm lovin it! I've always had to use hardware such as sound modules, effects, drum machines, etc. I had lots of them and the electric bill was pretty high and I was running out of space. I was never really a big fan of virtual synths but now that they've improved, its been playland. I'm running a FW1884 and a laptop equipped with a layla card. I composed my sh*t and mix down later at a bigger studio if needed.

Comment

768 megs of RAM, and a stock Soundblaster Live soundcard from Dell about 4 years ago.

I thought it was a RAM issue last year when I only had 256 megs. So I bought another 512 megs and still have the same problem.

BTW, RDRAM sucks. It's really expensive, has to be bought in pairs, and is no faster than SDRAM. But, I have to use it on this PC.

Visit my site at

Comment

ugh, yeah its definitely your live card! 4 years ago?? You're going to need at least 1 gig to run cubase just right, that's if you're are going to be running alot of VST instruments. My work has an old Dell with a live card that runs cubase and man its difficult to do anything. You might want to upgrade your card to something alittle better. Cakewalk is probably the best audio sequencing program for the live card. Look into the Maudio audiophile, 24/96 card. It only cost 99 bucks and it will run your cubase perfectly. I have an Audiophile fitted on all my computers. It's cheap and works alot better than the Audigy cards.

I too have RDRAM and notice absolutely no phucking difference in performance. DDR works just as good and is least expensive.

Comment

I doubt I'll dump the money into more Ram, but I'd pop for a soundcard. I have 4 slots, 2 with 128, 2 with 256. I'd have to buy 2 more 256 to upgrade. Thats like 3 hundred bucks or so. Besides, I don't run any VST instrumens. I sequence through my Alesis or record live guitar, bass or vocals.

Thanks for the soundcard tip though. If that works with cubase well, i'm in.

Visit my site at

Comment

You'll never get decent latency out of a sounblaster. And don't fall for their "Pro Recording Line" BS either. If your on a PC look into an Echo card or an M-Audio. The M-Audio FW410 would probably be the best bang for your buck. But it's still going to run you a few bills.

Matt

Comment

Thanks. Hopefully I'll get my allowance soon

Visit my site at

Comment

Working...
                              X