No announcement yet.

Lightworks to go open source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up a GoPro camera and found the h.264 variant it uses required some new tools for me to edit in Premiere cs3. I tried DNxHD and it worked...huge files, but it worked.
    I read the white paper PerroneFord posted a link for and was intrigued.
    PerroneFord, do you use DNxHD for compatability or to give the native camera files you shoot less compress-decompress damage as you edit? Every thing you shoot gets transcoded?
    Carbonized Member

Comment

I use DNxHD for the following reasons:

1. It is readable and writeable on both Mac and PC
      2. It is able to get around the color shift problem I see with other codecs in the Quicktime container
      3. It holds up well during editing and grading
      4. I use Avid, and it's the native codec for Avid
      5. It supports an alpha channel whereas many other codecs do not.
      6. It's free.

As for your question about transcoding everything.. no I don't. If I am whipping out something quick that needs a few cuts and a render, and maybe a white balance, I don't transcode it. But Avid doesn't do AVCHD and even if it did, I wouldn't put it on the timeline. So I transcode all AVCHD to something else.
      Don't be a BillyBob...

Comment

Well, it's the end of the 29th and no announcement. Wonder when this will finally happen. Anybody hear anything?
        (9:38:44 PM) ngubbet: ROYGBIV 4:4:4:4:4:4:4

Comment

Heard nothing. My money is on a January release.
          Don't be a BillyBob...

Comment

yeah, that would make more sense at this point, if we don't hear anything this week.

Comment

You can download beta version here after registrating

http://www.lightworksbeta.com/

The store isn't available yet.

There's a forum giving a solution for some Windows 7 64bit installing problems.

Hmm, I'm having a little trouble here with 64bit windows, I can install and start it but have the feeling it's not working as it should...
              Last edited by stip; 11-30-2010, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Great that it's finally available for download. I just checked the LW page on the Editshare site & it doesn't have any new info. Also, looks like they posted the manual this morning!
                Post production is not an afterthought!
                www.arniepix.com

Comment

Boy, this software release dropped off the map quick! Is anybody persevering with Light Works?
                  Progress?
                  Carbonized Member

Comment

I have loaded the Beta version on my laptop and played with it a bit. It is a very rich and complex program designed to allow multiple people to work on a project at the same time. There is a bit of a learning curve involved for sure.

Like it so far, but the included codecs for footage import are very limited. I expect when the release version and the store for various codecs and plug-ins are online it will get more attention.

I like the ability to preview clips before importing to the project. I like the way clips can be organized into bins and racks. I like that you can have multiple "rooms" each representing a unique definable screen layout for the tools you want to have at hand for a particular task.
                    Haven't had much time to play with it so I am still very much a beginner with this work flow, but I can see how it would be advantageous for large complex projects where people are simultaneously working on different aspects: ingest and dailies, rough cut, sound, FX, offline and online can all be going on at the same time from a shared master project file.

Comment

I am. I'm thinking FCP at work and lightworks for personal use. I've got Vegas, had Avid, was considering Edius (which is very good BTW), but I'm really digging Editshare Lightworks. It's got some bugs but the promise is amazing.

Comment

I pick up on things fast but coming from Vegas, this for me is a mess of sorts. I am very much used to being able to do most of my editing on the timeline itself. Still trying to learn, but I have not had any problems importing footage yet. Gonna keep at it so I can see if this is really something I would be willing to use.
                        Kit Hannah
                        kithannah@gmail.com
                        Sony Nex-7 w/ Multiple Sony E Lenses & Minolta MD Rokkor-X Lenses, 3x RPS Studio 15x15 Softboxes w/ Flos, Cool Lights LED600 fixtures, various hot lights, Tascam Recorder, Audio Technica & Sennheiser Mics, Sony Headphones, Sony Vegas, Sony Laptop. My camera, audio and editing station all fit into a backpack.

Comment

Can I go ahead and bump this? they're on like v1.03 of the beta now, seems they've worked a lot of bugs out. Anyone using it? I was rather disappointed, they made it seem it would have native support for tons of file formats. Now it seems it doesn't support ANY mpeg2 based codecs, including xdcam ex. its available at "Extra cost", however they haven't provided the add ons to even buy yet

Comment

It is still in Beta. I don't expect them to add codecs until release version. I haven't had any need to, but they say call them for other codecs, so they may or may not have support available for whatever you need. For me DV is fine for the learning curve for now. You have to add external FX packages and and titling software too. I want to add a Shuttle Pro controller to my laptop to make it more user friendly.

Comment

How are you liking it? how is the workflow/speed of editing compared to something like Premiere?

Comment

Originally posted by Fohdeesha View Post
                                How are you liking it? how is the workflow/speed of editing compared to something like Premiere?
                                Premiere is much more efficient for me at this point because I am used to it. But I haven't done much more than ingest, preview and rough cut with Lightworks yet. Haven't had much time to play with it. Too covered up with work and house repairs. It runs very well on my Vista 64bit laptop, no problems so far. But operating with a touch pad or even a mouse is clunky. It cries out for a hardware jog/shuttle controller or console for better efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                                X