Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File Corruption on FAT32 drive with Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Corruption on FAT32 drive with Mac?

I have a drive that was shipped to me with a ton of MP4 and MPG files that originated on consumer cameras. In order to edit them, I've been converting everything to ProRes 422 using MPEG Streamclip.

That said, I set up a batch to process last night, and they almost all got completed by this morning (hundreds of files).

However, the app crashed, and the source hard drive now appears to have corrupted, with some of the files showing up with a date modified of "Dec 31, 1903, 5:00pm" and having size of 0KB.

I have *never* seen this type of behavior before from my Mac, but I'm wondering if any of you have seen this?

The drive in question, is an external Maxtor One Touch 320GB drive which is formatted FAT32, since the origin of the files were from a PC.

In fact, it won't even let me properly unmount the drive off the computer right now.
    - Andy

sigpic

I would still love to know what caused this problem.... but after power cycling the drive, it appears as though there was no lasting damage. It could have been caused by MPEG Streamclip processing 4 files at the same time, and the drive might have been confused or something like that.
    - Andy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X