Best format for video to edit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best format for video to edit

I do not know much about video formats like which one would be the best to use in Premiere and After Effects. I am taking video from a Sony camcorder that records to Mini-DVDs. How should I get the video off of these? I am currently using DVD Decrypter which brings them off the DVD as VOBs.

If I do have to do this, what should I use to turn them into a more friendly format and what format would that be?

Thank you and I could not find anything by searching the forums (was probably not searching for the right thing).

The best tool I have found to convert .VOBs is a nifty program called MPEG-VCR from Womble Multimedia. This will read the .VOB, let you trim it, and save it as an MPEG-2. You can then drop the it into any editor that will read one (I use Sony Vegas), do whatever, then render it to another format.

Here's a link to MPEG-VCR:

http://www.womble.com/products/vcr.html

I use this thing all the time, and highly recommend it. It's only $35 (way down from the $250 that I paid for it years ago), and there is a free trial so you can be wowed for absolutely nothing!
    The Frugal Filmmaker

Comment

I have Womble MPEG Video Wizrd (it says it does everything VR does plus more) and I never thought to bring VOBs straight in. I think I tried to convert to an MPEG2 file (even though VOBS basically are mpeg2s) and THEN editing. That used to always throw my audio out of synch it seemed. I will have to try this later.

I should also try Sony Vegas, it looks interesting. I have Premiere and will probably get CS3 version soon and after effects CS3 as well.

Comment

I tried Video Wizard, but it can't compete with the simplicity of MPEG-VCR in my opinion.

Vegas is simply great, and does so much more than just edit video. I love it.
        The Frugal Filmmaker

Comment

i recommend mpeg streamclip. it's free and can export vob files to just about anything.
          ~Shane

Comment

Working...
          X