best CC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best CC?

I'm kinda new to this. Iím on an Intel Mac and im wondering which CC program/plug-in has the best results. Iíve noticed that after doing CC my image degrades and drops in quality from the original. Nattress, Magic Bullet (which one), After effects, etc. What is your recommendation?
    Spyfest Entry = "Check" ---- Hallowfest Entry = "The Circle" ---- Twilightfest Entry = "Hello Hello"

i'm a huge fan of magic bullet's look suite. probably because i edit on a pc and i believe natress if for mac. though i too am still young in the cc'ing arena, but magic bullet gives me a great starting point. i can pick a particular look and tweak it if necessary. also the deartifacter and letterboxer. broadcast spec is invaluable.

Comment

with the new macs i can run windows so your comments are very helpful. I am really considering magic bullet. I already have nattress and if MB is better in any way i would save up and get it.
      Spyfest Entry = "Check" ---- Hallowfest Entry = "The Circle" ---- Twilightfest Entry = "Hello Hello"

Comment

Hands down After Effects and with colorista. Here are some fast tests I did a while back.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=102098
        Filmmaker and VFX Supervisor/Artist

My Website
        IMDB

Comment

After effects can give you great control but it can be very time consuming/tedious.
          www.mattgarrettdp.com

Comment

if youre on FCP, upgrade to Studio 2 and use COLOR!!!! are you kidding !?!?!!?!? Color is the best CC tool avialable fo under 10k...
            Cinematographer
            Sigma Pro

www.timurcivan.com 917-589-4424

Comment

Oh didn't see he had FCP yep Color looks amazing and very deep! Im an Avid cutter I wish avid would do something about their CC.
              Filmmaker and VFX Supervisor/Artist

My Website
              IMDB

Comment

wow colorista is kinda cheap. Ill try it.
                I've been needing AE for a while, i guess that goes on the list too.

timur, It shall be done. Color it is! Should be getting it in a few days.
                Last edited by deedive; 08-08-2007, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Just make sure your system is up to it.
                  No powerbooks, intel chip powerbooks, or intel chip mini's.

Also you have to cause FCP to render in high quality YUV to not have the image degraded.

I recommend this book for getting maintaining the best quality image in post as you push and pull it through various color and relighting processes. It also goes over color theory for film and how to push / pull opposing colors to get the color you want without just slapping a tint on it or saturating that color and thereby adding more artifacting and noise, etc.
                  (link)

I agree with Timur that you should upgrade to FCP six but I also recommend a full diet of the following
                  MB,
                  Nattress,
                  and COLORISTA
                  (though if you have a machine that can run COLOR colorista becomes somehwat redudundant)
                  I use Nattress all the time, his bleach bypass is the best and it is only like $100 and you get free upgrades for life.
                  Last edited by Jack Daniel Stanley; 08-08-2007, 07:09 PM.
                  JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
                  FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
                  DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

Comment

Also, for free, download the free Face Light and Vignette Plugins from Haiku
                    http://www.haiku.com.au/2005/08/fina...-plug-ins.html
                    They can be used to relight a scene to make an actor's face pop or direct focus or make things look less flat. Also the facelight plugin has an adjustible blur to soften harsh HD effects on an actor's face.
                    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
                    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
                    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

Comment

i did check with Nattress but never used anything else.
                      Thanx JDS!! Will look into the book

Comment

Working...
                      X