Premiere unusable playback - many video layers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premiere unusable playback - many video layers

I have a music video with 26 layers of video. 4K.
    It's 26 layers because there are many takes and I'm cutting to the ones I need.
    Even though there are no effects it has brought my machine to a grinding halt so it barely can play the timeline. So bad I can't really edit.
    The timeline is 1080P and the 4k clips are both cropped in or scaled down to fit.
    Any ideas what to do? I cut the playback res to 1/4. No help.
    I transferred the project to my other machine that has NVME drives instead of SSD and same result.
    I copied the first few clips to a new sequence so that the clips were only on video layer 1 and it played fine. So there seems to be a limitation that occurs in Premiere when there are many video layers even though the layers fully cover each other up so only the top video layer is seen playing.
    Premiere Pro CS6. i7 64GB RAM. Win7Pro

This is what proxy workflows were designed for...transcode everything to barely 720p (or even 480p) and your machine will be running faster than ever!

Comment

My old machine had this trouble, and I only discovered it when I did the first really layered video. There's simply too much data being shuffled around. What I did was broke the video into 30 second-ish chunks, and worked on these. Without attempting to play I cut every track on the timeline every 30 secs, then deleted all bar the 1st 30 secs. then I exported each track individually - by turning off every one. Then loading the chopped one again and dumping the first and using the second - it took me the morning to do it, but with the much shorter clips, it would play - but only just.

I bought for the first time, a graphics card on the Adobe list with onboard processing, and everything changed - multi-layers now no longer limit what I can do - no need to keep rendering effects and the difference was huge. CS6 is of course starting to get very out of date - time is not on your side.

Comment

+1 for creating proxies, I had a problem when a drone op handed off a stack of 4K footage, .created proxies and no problem working through the files.

Comment

Thanks everyone. So I've been moving each clip I wanted to use to the top video level above all the rest, all in the same layer and all the sudden it plays pretty well from the timeline. Strange but good.
          The proxy idea sounds good. I need to look into that.

Comment

Working...
          X