Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apply dip to black without re-rendering HEVC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Roper
    replied
    Create a file mylist.txt with (all) the files you want to have concatenated in the following form:

file 'MainFile'
    file 'DipToBlackFile'

Stream copy your joined files with this line:

ffmpeg -f concat -i mylist.txt -c copy output

Leave a comment:

• Ann Bens
    replied
    https://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr6.html

On a side note: dip to black is best used as a doublesided transition.
    For singleside use a cross dissolve or keyframe opacity.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    The suggested way from ahalpert is best...it's the quickest way.

And 1 hour is not bad at all?

The only other option (besides using other transcoding software to see which one is the fastest, or using a faster computer) is you can actually have a video player do it if the final product will be online. However, I don't think YouTube/Vimeo offers any of those kind of options anymore. If you were embedding it on your own site in your own video player (like Kaltura, etc), the web developer/coder would be able to do it.

Leave a comment:

• dylansmith
    replied
    I can, but just plain re-encoding will also take 1 hour.

Leave a comment:

• ahalpert
    replied
    Can't you just take your exported video, bring it into the NLE, add the fade at the end, and re-export but now without detail preserving upscale or any other effects? It should go much, much faster

I was previously going to make a joke about how you could just turn your monitor brightness down gradually at the end. Because you can't alter a video file without re-encoding it AFAIK. But I thought better of it

Leave a comment:

• dylansmith
    replied
    The context is I took 20 hours to encode a premiere pro sequence (because it included a portion where I used detail preserving upscale in after effects). in the last part of the video, I forgot to add the dip to black (simply a fade out at the end). I don't want to have the CPU crunch another 20 hours just to add this effect. what else can I do?

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    I think we need more context...

___

Here is a screenshot of a timeline in FCP X of a .mov video I imported and just dropped in. It's untouched so naturally there is no render bar above it (which displays as a dotted line in FCP X).

However, if I add a 10 second fade to black at the end of it, a dotted render line appears only over that part (look all the way at the top, last 10 seconds).

When it's time to export the video, every frame has to be processed so it's all being re-encoded regardless.

If I were to render this, only the last 10 seconds would require rendering.

Is a dip to black something else?

FCP_1.jpg

FCP_2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Andy9
    replied
    You mean you want to just add a dip to black to a video without re-encoding the whole thing? As far as I'm aware this is not possible.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Not really sure what you're asking...

But if it's about the time it takes to export a file; yes, always have to wait the same time when you do it over again (unless you change the edit, which may add or subtract time).

Leave a comment:

• dylansmith
    replied
    think there is some misunderstanding here. sorry for wrong use of term, I meant re-ENCODE, not re-render.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    P.S. When you're working in advanced software with models and simulations and textures and lighting/etc. you'll likely render to see the development, but I don't think too many people render for regular video playback anymore (with various proxy and optimized workflows being available).

Main reason is because rendering can be very tedious and time consuming, and it makes little sense for complicated edits with longer clips as small changes require re-rendering the affected sequences.

If you're just looking for smooth playback, transcoding your clips to a lower quality and/or playing them back at a lower resolution is far more efficient.

Leave a comment:

• NorBro
    replied
    Any computer that can handle HEVC well like a new silicon Mac would never need to render to playback an effect like that even if the software recommended it (it is merely a decrease in opacity).

Leave a comment:

• dylansmith
    started a topic Apply dip to black without re-rendering HEVC?

Apply dip to black without re-rendering HEVC?

is this possible? can be any software, not just premiere.
Working...
X