• Show
Clear All

SPEED Edit in 4K and 50% downsize on a 2K timeline VS edit natively in 4K

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Would it be faster, slower or equal in Premiere to

A) edit 4K material and 50% downsize on a 2K timeline sequence
    VS
    B) edit 4K material on a 4K timeline

specifically I'm talking about mainly Canon MXF 422 footage out of C300m2, and a project w hundreds of hours of material and a 2 hour + timeline
    Would it make any difference if you also include upscaling some 2K material to 4K?

Thanking You In Advance!

Best
    /V

No difference in terms of raw performance as the source is still 4K, whether it's in a 4K timeline or a 2K timeline.

However, playback - depending on how you playback footage/its quality - may (or may not) improve if doing it in a lower-resolution timeline.

Per usual, best way to answer this question is to test footage you'd be personally working with in your own personal system/software.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      Im mid-project thinking of switching to 4K timeline for a possible 4K online-master (broadcast-master is only 2K). Im thinking graphics would be better too etc but dont want to slow down the editing process. If its a minor difference then I think I will junp ship and take the 4K sequence train.
      Havent seen much difference so far when trying, but havent tried a massive project / sequence.

Comment

Everything will look better if a lot of it is of a higher-resolution...because currently the extra pixels are being thrown away in the 2K timeline.

I always edit in a native timeline and then export lower-resolution masters from that.

Comment

Working...
        X