Adobe CC editing workflow woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe CC editing workflow woes

I'm running into some severe workflow problems while using Premiere Pro, After Effects, and SpeedGrade.
    But first, I want to note that I'm editing on a brand new, 2.6 GHz i7, 15" retina MacBook Pro. It's the top of the line MacBook Pro for the 2013/2014 lineup. I'm also editing all this footage on the internal SSD. All that being said, I don't believe my problem is a hardware issue.

Now for the specifics. I'm editing a short production that's just over a minute long and I'm running into severe limitations as far as dynamic linking, playback, and the like.
    I ended up editing almost the entire thing in After Effects (I had some little visual effects stuff to do), but 1) if I use dynamic linking, it is so slow and choppy that it's impossible to finish up my editing in Premiere, & 2) when I export it out, it's a 20-24 hour long render to get any sort of reasonably high quality video.
    Then on top of that, I wanted to use SpeedGrade to add grading to the footage. I could not figure out how to get it to work right with Premiere or After Effects. I ended up rendering out full resolution files that I then re-linked in After Effects.
    Now I'm trying to add stabilization to the footage as a last pass over the video. If I do it in After Effects, it'll be a minimum of another day before this project goes out. If I do it in Premiere Pro (which I'm doing now), the video will not playback in real time and I am forced to render out the video (another 1-1.5 hours) to even watch any tweaks I make to the stabilization.

I feel like I'm trying to use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail because I can't find the hammer. It doesn't seem like I'm doing this right at all! Can someone speak some sanity into my workflow?
    Last edited by Daviesgeek; 04-06-2014, 07:14 PM.

I tend to never use my boot drive as an edit disk. I now use Thunderbolt external drives for editing. What codec are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Daviesgeek View Post
      I can't find the hammer.
      Here it is.

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/choose.asp

Comment

You post is seriously lacking in helpful information. Codec? Frame rate? Frame size? Have you used this previous workflow before? If so, did you have any problems with it? Are you well versed in the apps you are using or are you more of a novice with PPro, AE and/or SpeedGrade? How much RAM do you have? Which GPU do you have?

-Andrew
        Looking For Lenny - feature doc about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy and Free Speech.
        Netflix
        iTunes
        Amazon
        Cable VOD & streaming info

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Simon View Post
          Jim I'm right there with you buddy, you can never go wrong refering someone to ADK. Eric is fantastic he has made my life so much easier as did you and some others over at the fourm. I have a maintenance deal with them, they get all my computer business.

Comment

My boot drive is a PCI-E SSD that gets read/write speeds upwards of 950 MB/s both ways. I am absolutely certain that that it's not a disk IO problem.

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Jones View Post
              What codec are you using?

Whoops, didn't answer this part. I didn't transcode the footage at all. I'm using the standard H.264 file off my Canon 550D.

Comment

Originally posted by adkimery View Post
                Codec?
                H.264 straight off my Canon 550D

Frame rate?
                30 FPS

Frame size?
                1920x1080

Have you used this previous workflow before?
                No

Are you well versed in the apps you are using or are you more of a novice with PPro, AE and/or SpeedGrade?
                I'm a convert of Final Cut Express and Final Cut Studio. I'm well versed in those applications, but not so much with the Adobe workflow. I've used PPro extensively in the last few years, but again, I'm not well versed in the workflow between the Adobe applications.

How much RAM do you have?
                16GB

Which GPU do you have?
                NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of VRAM

Comment

Although that would be awesome to have, my MacBook Pro is definitely sufficient to edit the video that I'm working with.

Comment

Ok, ok, let's not get too off-topic here
                    I asked a software question, and this isn't a hardware issue. Thank you both for the suggestions though.

Comment

I asked a software question, and this isn't a hardware issue. Thank you both for the suggestions though.
                      Have you updated Premiere Pro to 7.2.2? It was released yesterday. Interesting though, I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro and Premiere Pro CC flies on my machine. The director I work with has the same machine/setup you have and it works great on his too. Not sure what you're experiencing, does seem strange. Using CUDA or Open CL for playback?

EDIT: Also wanted to mention that we're using Canon DSLR h.264 files too (550D, 60D, 70D etc.)

Comment

I guess I'm a little old fashion, as I tend to convert all my footage to Pro Res 422, as I work with different cameras and prefer to work with a single 10 bit codec.

Comment

Originally posted by David Del Real View Post
                          Using CUDA or Open CL for playback?
                          I don't know which. How would I check?

Comment

Originally posted by David W. Jones View Post
                            I guess I'm a little old fashion, as I tend to convert all my footage to Pro Res 422, as I work with different cameras and prefer to work with a single 10 bit codec.
                            Me too. That's the way I used to work, but PPro is supposed to be all about not having to do that isn't it?

Comment

it is so slow and choppy that it's impossible to finish up my editing in Premiere, & 2) when I export it out, it's a 20-24 hour long render to get any sort of reasonably high quality video.
                              I think it is a hardware issue! Namely...the single SSD.
                              www.shooterfilm.co.nz

Panasonic AF102

SONY-FS700R

RR baseplate , F/F, Shoot35 Cinebox, Panasonic 1700HD Monitors. Adaptimax adapters. Ikan VX7e. Samurai

Prime Lenses: Nikkors . 20/f2.8, 24/f2.8, 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f2, Micro 55/f3.5, Micro 60/f2.8, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 135/f2.8, Contax -Zeiss 28/f2.8, 35/f2.8, 50/f1.7, 85/f2.8

VariPrimes: Nikkor 17-35/f2.8, Nikkor 28-70/f2.8,

GH2. Olympus 14-54 MkII

Cartoni , Weaver Heads , Miller legs. Zhuter Slider

Comment

Working...
                              X