ppro cs5.0.3 multi-cam editing crashes gtx285m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ppro cs5.0.3 multi-cam editing crashes gtx285m

I've been using the Production Premium CS5 suite for 18 months more or less. No problems other than the usual learning curves. But as time goes on we get more ambitous, yes? So now I want to try my hand at multi-camera editing. I'm only using two cameras. Got footage imported, and got both video feeds onto a "source" time line. Made a new "multi-cam edit" timeline to hold the multicamera stuff. Got the footage to sync (an adventure, but now I better understand the use of slates ).

But while doing that PPro crashed my display. That is, sprinkled random pixels about, then everything froze up. After 30-60 seconds, Win7 popped up a notice that said the display had crashed and that it was restarting. But as you might have guessed, this didn't help PPro much -- the new instance of the display driver didn't know that PPro was up and running. So I had to kill PPro using the Task Manager. And even though the display was working (I could do normal functions like start a web browser, etc.) the display was now "sprinkled" with wrong pixels making it annoying. So I rebooted (cold boot). Everything came up fine and I started again. As soon as I started playing the source timeline, it crashed again. Filled the Program Monitor with hash, then locked up solid. Went through the same reboot sequence and tried a third time. This time it let me get far enough that I was playing the source timeline. Same crash, but this time I had sound running -- PPro continued running the timeline (I could tell because the sound continued uninterrupted) while the display driver blew up and tried to recover.

I can't make this kind of crash happen with any other program. I can't make it happen with PPro doing single camera editing. It seems to be a multi-camera deal.

I did check to make sure that Win7 was up-to-date, and it is. So is the nVidia driver for the GTX 285M card in this laptop. And PPro is at 5.0.3 which is the latest.

The only thing I can find in the event logs is an entry for each event, a warning, from the display, event id 4101 with the text "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

So... anyone have any ideas what the problem is? Any way to solve it?

Oh, yes, this is an i7 930 processor at 2.8 GHz, with 6GB memory running Win7 64bit. The only program running when this happens is PPro, no browswer, no iTunes, no other Adobe software, just PPro CS5.

Hmmm.... might be a driver problem after all.

When I go through Win7 Device Manager, it says I'm running 8.17.11.9716, released on 3/16/2010. When I click on the "Update Driver..." button and make it search the 'net for the latest drivert, it comes back with "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date." Which is why I said that my drivers were up to date in my original post.

Yet, when I go to the NVIDIA website I learn that the current version is 295.73 - WHQL, and it was released just two weeks ago.

So I'm thinking that win7 is lying to me, but the nomenclature for the driver is so different from the two sources that it's difficult to say what's actually going on.

My experience at the driver level is both old and inadequate. Anyone lend me a clue?

Comment

Windows installs basic drivers for the card to function. When doing a Windows Update, it checks Microsoft's servers and not nVidia's. Use the nVidia drivers instead.

Are you using the CUDA hack?

Comment

Working...
      X