New DVD from Noah on using FCP with the DVX100 Info Here!

NoahK

Hottie Mod
prodimagepopdvx_large.jpg

Hi folks-
If you've ever met me at a Panasonic booth at an expo, Boot Camp or online- you know Final Cut Pro with the DVX100 is my specialty. I’ve bottled up all my special sauce into a master class DVD you can own. Here’s some highlights of what’s on the DVD:
  • Output for 24p DVD
  • 24pA vs. 24p Standard
  • Output for 35mm Film
  • Anamorphic 16:9 Setup
  • Cinema Tools
  • Editing System Shopping Lists
  • Fixing Tape Dropouts
  • Easy Setups
  • SDI vs. Firewire Capture

For samples and order information, please visit:

http://www.callboxlive.com/products/24p-digital-post-production-with-final-cut-pro-and-the-dvx100

Thanks again for your support. I hope to be a helpful signpost on the road to 24p glory.

Best,
Noah

Last edited:
Oooh, glad to see it's out! Excellent! I have no doubt this will become the reference guide for DVX/FCP shooters. Noah's an excellent teacher, and his session is one of the most popular at the HVX BootCamps. Congrats on releasing the disc and I hope (and predict) that it'll do very well for you!

yeah.. ive seen it in action and its pretty impressive. Noah put alot of work in to this set and even i was shocked how good it was... a must have for sure anyone using final cut and the DVX.

Nice to see Noah! Now the inevitable question, will you be coming out with one for the HVX? I've got my credit card waiting.

cheers,

JP

noah just finished shooting a special segment for our HVX bootcamp DVD volume 2, which covers the HVX and FCP :)

Yep- I shot the FCP/HVX Greatest Hits for Boot Camp. And then I'll follow up with all the b-sides and live recordings for another Call Box DVD. We'd of course appreciate it if you picked all of 'em up. :beer:

-Noah

NoahK said:
...I’ve bottled up all my special sauce into a master class DVD ...
bwahaha "special sauce" lol. :beer:
It's funny because it's true :laugh:

I too have seen this gentleman in action and if he's bottled his special sauce then this DVD will be a definately be great guide for using the DVX100 and FCP, and I'm sure very soon - the guide.

Congrats on putting this together, Noah:beer:

uhm ... wow ... I knew the information would be good, but I just looked at the sample clips on the website ... and the production value and animation is really great - you really put a lot of effort into making this a very watchable and clear expereince :thumbsup:

Wow, impressive site! It's too bad I'm no longer a dvx user, do you think this could be used with the canon a1? If everytime he said dv i said hdv it should be relatively the same right? The a1 mostly seems like an hdv for a dvx, so it should be in post workflow, just as hdv until I get to the downconverting stage right?

Hmm- that's a good question. There's some HDV specifics you'd be missing. But I do spend a lot of time discussing general FCP post issues- such as dealing with sync sound, making DVDs, working with high-end color correction, film outputs, etc that could still be of use to you. Plus there's cool animation to keep you entertained. :)

-Noah

ksadani said:
Damn ..

I wish someone would do the smae for DVX/Vegas ...

True- it would seem to be warranted. I think there's enough non-FCP info in there you'd still get your money's worth. We go into a ton of detail on how to setup for post and how to handle 24p footage to look its best. Some of it's very specific to FCP but a good amount is universal.

Noah

Anything in there about combining DVX 24pn and HVX 720/24p? I'm discovering all kinds of workflow options with the Mac platform.

Geno said:
Anything in there about combining DVX 24pn and HVX 720/24p? I'm discovering all kinds of workflow options with the Mac platform.

Hi Geno- this disc is focused on the DVX100 as far as cameras go. But there's a lot of stuff in there that relates to what to do with 24p once you have it all properly imported into FCP that would also apply to the HVX on a foundation level. And it was shot on an HVX(on two actually). :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

-Noah

PS- for folks who have already ordered we just released to replication today with a priority track. I expect to ship DVD's by mid-January as promised. Looking forward to getting discs into your hands. :) :)

Last edited:
Quick update- we've had a ton of pre-orders and I totally appreciate the vote of confidence! I heard from the replicator that our discs were completed as of yesterday and were shipping in by end of the week. So we'll start sending out the first set of orders early next week and switch from pre-order to full order status on the site then as well. :)

-Noah

Stone122 said:
I know its designed for Final Cut Pro, but would it be relevant or useful for Final Cut Express users?

Hi Stone-

I go over a bunch of production stuff that relates to setting up your edit in FCP that would still apply to FCE- for example how to slate your takes well, how to setup for sound, when to shoot 16:9 vs. 4:3 etc. And I talk about a lot of editing concepts that don't require you to cut in 23.98. So other than the sections specifically referring to native editing at 23.98 and topics like CinemaTools, I think you'd still get a ton of useful info out of it. And you also might gain some insight as to whether FCP might be something you want to move up to. :)

-Noah

Back