Flat panel display...FCP 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat panel display...FCP 4.0

I just bought my G5 with FCP 4.0 yesterday. I didnt get the Apple screen because I figured I can get a larger flat screen for a lower price. I found a 19inch flat panel display with 1280 x 1024 resolution; Dot pitch is .294mm and Contrast Ratio is 500:1

For video editing is the above spec's good? I am going to also have a NTSC monitor to view the final product on as well.

Now I read that the Power Mac delivers an all digital signal to the Apple flat panel displays. So with that said do I need a screen with digital inputs?

The spec's for the 19inch screen stated something about a 24 pin DVI connector cable for digital. Does that mean I can use this particular screen for editing?

Where can I get a NTSC monitor from as well besides B&H?

Re: Flat panel display...FCP 4.0

1280 x 1024 is pretty much minimum size for an editing system IMHO. But certainly usable. All current g4s have an ADC connector and a DVI connector. They also usually ship with an ADC to DVI adapter. Your DVI equipped 19 monitor will take a nice clean digital signal right out of your stock G4.

erik bryan slavin

Comment

correction, I have a 1.8 G5. Thats true about the digital signal though...

Thanks!

Comment

How is it working for you? Did you load it up with RAM?
        I have th esame model and with little RAM it seems as slow as a G4.
        jsull
        That tickles me in a way that if Lerain were to tickle me in that way I'd be like, "em yeah, that's nice."

Comment

I was under the assumption that all (at least current) models of LCD displays have DVI ports.  This is your best interface.  I've just setup a computer with support for 4 monitors.  Unfortunately, as on most dual-headed video cards, there is usually 1 DVI and 1 VGA.  There is a discernable difference in quality between the two interfaces (mostly brightness tho).

FYI: Pretty much ANY flat panel with the same (and often better) specs of the Apple LCDs are cheaper.  What're models are you looking at?  Your specs look very similar to some 19" Dells that I just bought (which are very good by the way).  These could've been had for ~$450 a piece last month!  I just missed the boat and ended up paying $100 more per monitor  :-[.  Still great monitors tho!
          Sol March - suggestionfmotion.com

Comment

I havent even turned the computer on yet! LOL! I am going to be getting a display this weekend and I want to add another internal SATA hard drive so I can capture just to that drive and not the system drive. I bought an extra gig of RAM when I bought the system last week so now I have a gig and a half in there so far.

Setting the system up to edit with the different settings, preferences, codecs....seems a little confusing but I have my manuals to refer to!

Comment

Speaking of said subjects + NTSC Monitors, I will be buying a Mac editing system late next week or middle of week after. I have speced it out for 1.8ghz G5, 1.5G of Ram to start (wait until those 1G chips drop) 160G Drive, with a capture drive of 250G a 17" and 20" Display. I will be getting FCP4 and DVD Studio Pro. But I was also interested in an external monitor. Any low-cost/good quality options? Also, anyone know of a good Mini-DV deck, so I can save the heads on my DVX-100?

Thanks.
              Kind Regards,&&&&Ian Savage

Comment

There's a store here in Philadelphia that is a APPLE/MAC dealer and they have 1 gig chips for $99.00. I found that out after I paid $144.89 a piece for 2 chips to give me the gig and half I have now.

www.spingboardmedia.com is the store's website.

I am planning on getting a portable Sony GVD-1000 MiniDV deck that includes a 4 inch flip up screen to use instead of the camera for capturing and recording the final project back to tape. It has FW in and out and a lot of other cool features. The reason I am going with the Sony is because I can also use it on the set for other situations.

As for the NTSC monitor, you can check B&H or Ebay. I just bought a 14 inch Flat Screen TV/Monitor that has S-video and Component jacks on it. I use that to view video that I am capturing and I will use it to view the final project. Since a lot of my work will be going to DVD, I decided to go this route. However, I will get a NTSC production monitor sometime soon though.

Comment

Shooter,

Thanks for all the great info, I will continue my research with this new information. Much appreciated.

Comment

P.S.

While I'm researching, could you possibly point me in a direction for a non-portable deck. I was really looking to use it just for capturing/playing tapes. Unless this portable one offers features that will be of use in other ways, I still need to check it out.

Thanks again.
                    Kind Regards,&&&&Ian Savage

Comment

Working...
                    X