Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is best for FCP -- YouTube or Vimeo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which is best for FCP -- YouTube or Vimeo?

Hello DXVusers,

I use FCP 7. Which website is best for your finished FCP video -- YouTube or Vimeo?

Most of my showreel is on YouTube, about ten videos, but I've been thinking of going to Vimeo.

A friend of mine said there is no difference between YouTube and Vimeo, other than you can personalise your website on Vimeo a bit better than on YouTube.

Which way should I go -- stay with YouTube or move everything over to Vimeo?

Cheers
    rc444
    Panasonic Lumix G85 | Lumix G7 | Canon XC10 | Lumix GH2 | HVX-200 | Final Cut Pro X | DaVinci Resolve 15

I prefer Vimeo, but this decision has nothing to do with FCP. Whichever you choose, end results depend on how you compress the file before uploading.

The reasons I like Vimeo more than YouTube are the customization, cleaner compression, and general lack of drunk people with Flip cameras. There's just too much garbage to wade through on YouTube.
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

Comment

What Alex said.

Plus if you allow it one could download an original non Vimeo compressed version of your work.

Comment

Agreed - it really has nothing to do with the editor your using.

That being said, I also prefer Vimeo - it just feels more professional.
        NJ Film School | Off Stage Films | Movie Poet

Comment

Worth paying for the Pro service- I use it to stream private edits directly to clients- way better workflow and quality than giving them DVDs.

-Noah
          One of 50 Best Websites for Moviemakers by MovieMaker Magazine: www.CallBoxLive.com
          40% discount code for DVXusers: dvxcbx20
          Good on all Call Box videos including Panasonic GH2, Panasonic AC160/130 and GoPro HD.

Comment

I think it depends on the purpose as well if it's just to get as many views as possible than I think Youtube still has better traffic

Comment

I use FCPX, but kept getting odd gamma shifts that were introduced by the YouTube re-encoding. All my videos came out noticeably darker than the uploaded original file. Vimeo does not do that.

Comment

Working...
              X