Autometion SD to Ingest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autometion SD to Ingest

I find myself copying SD cards to my Macbook Pro while driving. Is there an automation that would import to a library automatically once an SD is copied to an SSD folder? It's a pain pulling over for each card every day.

Current workflow:
    1. Plug in SD and close the stupid FCPX import window that wants me to ingest from the &*$#% card, which is no recommended (ironically by Apple).
    2. Find it. Open the enclosing folder. Click it. Copy it.
    3. Find the project folder that hosts the library
    4. Paste it.
    5. Open the library.
    6. Click import and navigate to the NO NAME folder
    7. Wait for it to ingest.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by DNathan; 12-11-2021, 07:59 AM.
    LegacyHDV.com
    MacPro | 8 Core, 20gb memory | Lion | FCS2/FCPX | Encore | (4) HMC150s

Not recommended by Apple? I never heard that...do you have a link?

I've imported hundreds of cards that way for the past 10 years.

___

Why don't you want to keep the library open and copy the cards into FCP?

Is it because you'd like two copies of each card the way you do it now or just afraid of something messing up?

But if you did do that then you could eject the cards with one click when they are done and then insert the next card and the footage will continue copying to the same event or a new one.

Comment

Larry Jordan anyway, for the reason that the hard drive is faster than the SD card. I've always wondered if that was true, as it's an extra step. I've heard other people advise the hard drive route.

I have tried uploading an AVCHD SD card straight to YouTube. It works, but takes forever.
      LegacyHDV.com
      MacPro | 8 Core, 20gb memory | Lion | FCS2/FCPX | Encore | (4) HMC150s

Comment

If the internal hard drive is a SSD (most are these days) the reading and writing speeds are faster than many of the SD cards people use so that's true, but it's like you mentioned an extra step and doesn't make much sense for the few minutes you may save, if any, because that same slow card, if it's a slow card, will take the longer time it needs to copy to the hard drive.

Comment

I'm not understanding the issue. It only takes a few minutes to copy video from an SD card to a computer's hard drive. I wouldn't advise working off the SD card you should always have the video in two location in case of failure.

Comment

No one's working (editing) off the SD card; he's copying the entire card to the drive first and then importing the folder via FCP from the drive which FCP reads as a card if the file structure is kept the same.

The issue he's having (the way I see it) is he's assuming the footage will (or does) take longer to import straight from the cards via a card reader or slot - which is how most people do it - so he is first dumping them (or each one, one-by-one) on the drive and then importing them to speed up the import, but that entire process for multiple cards is taking too much time and attention while he's driving/pulling over.

So he's looking for an automated or AI solution where he could plug in a card and an application could be prompted to copy the card to the desktop and then FCP could be notified that it's now time to import this new folder into an event.

Basically something with less clicking, and more hands on the wheel and cruising down the highway.

Comment

One day AI will take over and we will all be in the Matrix so hold tight.

Comment

I don't doubt it...

Comment

Just buy a Nexto.
                  JERBCO, Ltd.
                  jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

Comment

That sounds painful. I would write a script that mounts the device, copies the data, and unmounts the device. Sounds like your device is being automounted so maybe step 1 is not needed. I find a CLI faster than a GUI any day. I haven't played on a Mac in a while, but it's unix-y under the covers.

Comment

Working...
                    X