Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going from 24pa DV source material to 25fps pal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from 24pa DV source material to 25fps pal?

Hello,

I am submitting a new feature film I edited in FCPX to a film festival that is VERY specific on their requirements for uploading the film for consideration (copy from their email below):

For the upload the file must comply with the following specifications:

VIDEO
    Codec: avc1 H.264
    Frame Size: 1280px X 720px
    Bitrate: 821kbps
    Frame Rate: 25

AUDIO
    Codec: mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
    Bitrate: 128kbps
    Channels: 2 (stereo)
    Sample Rate: 48KHz

I shot the film on a Panasonic DVX100a. So my questions here is: how do I accurately go from 24pa DV material to pal?

I have exported as a single ProRes 444 QuickTime file (23.976 fps) and was expecting to just go into the latest Compressor, setup these requirements, convert, upload and be finished. Unfortunately, not that easy. And the festival is being very strict on their requirements. My biggest problem is going to 25 fps.

When I just do a custom export in Compressor and select 25 frames the result is a jittery video on playback.

Is there any way to smooth this out better using Final Cut Pro X and/or Compressor?

THANK YOU!
    Finished two short documentaries in the past 2 years. Writing script for 3rd feature film for planned 2015 production.

Check out my two award-winning DVX100a feature films "Schism" and "There Are No Goodbyes"

Read the lengthy and informative "Schism" DVXUser thread here!

Usual practice is to speed up 24 fps about 4% to get to 25 fps.

It would actually be 4.271% for 23.976.

I suspect you can do this with your ProRes master file on a 25p timeline in FCPX.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

Thanks David. I will give that a shot.
      Finished two short documentaries in the past 2 years. Writing script for 3rd feature film for planned 2015 production.

Check out my two award-winning DVX100a feature films "Schism" and "There Are No Goodbyes"

Comment

If you have access to Cinema Tools you can just change the playback rate on your ProRes master to 25p.
        I shoot everything on 8mm tape. BALLER STATUS

Comment

thanks for the replies, everyone.

I haven't gotten back to my office yet today but I am a little concerned how this works with the audio. Will the audio still sync if I am speeding up the video 4.271%? in theory I don't know how it could.

Comment

It will speed up a tiny bit.

There really aren't any perfect solutions for converting 24p to 25p; you saw yourself that at real-time, it becomes jittery -- it has to, because you either have to interpolate every frame, or you double every 24th frame, producing a slight stutter once per second. 24 fps material is often sped up to be shown as 25 fps in order to keep the picture perfect.
            LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

Comment

The motion is a LOT better now after using the speed controls in Frame Controls (Compressor). Output settings said: Time remapping:output duration 95.903999%
              The audio is synched well at the beginning of the exported file (it's 1 hr 43 min film runtime) but then as I get further along in the playback it gets more and more out of synch. I test played back the exported file in QuickTime.
              Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
              X