capturing non-square 1.2 instead of 0.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

capturing non-square 1.2 instead of 0.9

Ok, so I have DV footage that was recorded squeezed( not letter box). It looks fine in avid during capture, but when I go into after effects and open the footage, it shows up as 0.9 and not 1.2 (4:3 not 16:9) So how do I get avid to capture the footage and record it to a 1.2 file? I am using the omf 1:1 codec.
    Media Composer
    thanks
    Last edited by pdsage10; 12-20-2006, 12:02 PM.

When you capture squeezed 16:9 then Avid doesn't know that your footage is actually 16:9, but when you export from Avid QTRef "16:9 square pixel" then your exported footage is true 16:9 and AE shows the same.
    So...keep capturing as usual but export from Avid as 16:9. Actually this is only "16:9 flag" in QTRef's header that forces players and other applications to show 16:9 format.

Comment

Isn't there a way to tell AE about the pixel aspect ratio of a clip, "interpret footage" or something like that?

George

Comment

But if I export a Quick time reference file at 16:9 square pixel, then my footage will be horizontaly streched. It wont be a true 720/480 1.2 image, it will be around 800 horizontal if the pixels are square.
        In Premiere, I just set the capture settings for a 1.2 pixel aspect if I want to record a wide screen source. But I dont want to use Premiere because of the dv compression.
        So, how come Avid doesnt have a similar setting that lets you capture true anamorphic footage?

Comment

My bad.
          Just tried and yes exporting 16:9 square pixel makes correct aspect ratio, however 1024x576 footage (I live in PAL land)...
          Personally I edit 16:9 anamorpic footage always as it is and finally in MPEG2 encoder I choose 16:9.
          Corect me if I'm wrong but Avid treats anamorpic 16:9 as usual streched 4:3 and you can choose to display this (rightclick on composer monitor) either 4:3 or 16:9

Comment

Working...
          X