Sorensen Squeeze issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorensen Squeeze issues.

Been having some issues using Sorensen squeeze. The last few MPEGs I encoded I got an error message saying that progressive encoding wasn't possible (even though it was from the same QT as before, I just wanted to encode audio with it this time). Recently, it's also been giving me error messages saying some of the MXFs are missing from the references and I have to go in and find them for the program (even though they're where they always were). Finally, I've had an odd issue where it claims it's done squeezing but, when I open the file, it's too small and large portions of it are just pure white (always toward the end) Any ideas what's going on?

I have been avoiding Sorenson for the most part because it crashes on me a lot, especially when I'm getting close to a deadline (how do it know?). My typical workflow for MPEG is to use TMPGEnc.

I assume you're using QT Ref files with "Use Avid DV Codec" enables, right? The messages about missing MXFs mean that the Avid codec can't find the media. It could be offline or corrupted, or maybe you did some further work on the sequence after you made the QT Ref and invalidated or re-rendered some of the previously rendered stuff. Have you tried bringing up Avid to make sure you can still see the original sequence from there?

As for the pure white stuff at the end, I was also seeing that for longer encodes prior to release 5.6. My interpretation is this: I think there was a memory leak in the Avid DV100 codec, which they have now fixed. When Sorenson ran out of memory it just started putting out white frames, which compress very efficiently, resulting in a small file. The reason I think there was a memory leak is because I could bring up the Windows Task Manager during an encode and watch the memory usage creep upwards steadily until it reached the physical memory limit. After installing 5.6 this problem went away.

geo.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoMar
      I have been avoiding Sorenson for the most part because it crashes on me a lot, especially when I'm getting close to a deadline (how do it know?). My typical workflow for MPEG is to use TMPGEnc.

I assume you're using QT Ref files with "Use Avid DV Codec" enables, right? The messages about missing MXFs mean that the Avid codec can't find the media. It could be offline or corrupted, or maybe you did some further work on the sequence after you made the QT Ref and invalidated or re-rendered some of the previously rendered stuff. Have you tried bringing up Avid to make sure you can still see the original sequence from there?

As for the pure white stuff at the end, I was also seeing that for longer encodes prior to release 5.6. My interpretation is this: I think there was a memory leak in the Avid DV100 codec, which they have now fixed. When Sorenson ran out of memory it just started putting out white frames, which compress very efficiently, resulting in a small file. The reason I think there was a memory leak is because I could bring up the Windows Task Manager during an encode and watch the memory usage creep upwards steadily until it reached the physical memory limit. After installing 5.6 this problem went away.

geo.
      The thing is that the sequences still play fine in Avid and the MXF files are where they always have been. The program just keeps making me find them again for it, even though they are in the same place.

As for the white stuff, what do you mean by 5.6? I thought the latest version of Avid availible was 5.5 and Sorensen was 4.2.

Comment

That's weird about having to identify the files over and over. I haven't had that happen, luckily for me!

By 5.6, yeah, they made it available a couple of weeks ago. You can get to it via http://avid.com/support/downloadcenter/index.asp. If you've got 5.5 you can download it for free.

geo.

Comment

Working...
        X