Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Avid machine based on MacPro or a PC (Conroe processor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Avid machine based on MacPro or a PC (Conroe processor)

Hi,

Here is the dilemma:

I want to purchase a NLE computer. Since the introduction of the MacPro from Apple (based on 2 Intel Xeon processor), I wondering If it could be a good bargin to purchase this Apple machine (with a Quadro FX and all the stuff) and Avid Xpress Pro + Mojo or purchase an Avid qualifed PC?

I want your point of view about this? Does Avid works correctly on an apple? Or better in a PC?

I like both PC and Mac and I don't care about the price of the computer. The only thing I want that is a good machine that I can use Avid without problem.

ElvisNTSC
    The only thing I want is an AG-DVX100A! No, finally, an AG-HVX200!

Elvis,

Avid has not qualified the Core Duo computers yet, but they are in the midst of testing them right now. The HP xw8400 is likely to be first, and a real screamer.

For the current approved systems:

http://www.avid.com/products/xpresspro/specs.asp

For my money, I'd wait a couple of months. The 8400 will be an incredibly powerful machine.

Regards,
    Cre8tive

Comment

Agreed with the above post. I personally like my PC/Avid combination, and have never really had a problem. Can't speak for the Apple configuration though.
      Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Rice
        Agreed with the above post. I personally like my PC/Avid combination, and have never really had a problem. Can't speak for the Apple configuration though.
        Hi Brandon,

Which PC Avid product do I buy if I want to compare it with FCP on a MacPro? I think FCP Studio is $1200 or so. What Avid product compares on the PC side?

Thanks

EM

Comment

Avid Xpress Pro HD is what I have, and I totally love it. I've used Avid with my custom built desktop and my P4 HP zd8000 laptop, and it runs silky on it.
          Please subscribe to my YOUTUBE CHANNEL to see all of my projects.

New short film THE APPOINTMENT now available to see!

Comment

Hi,

I had to make the same decision and I went for the new Mac Pro.
            With the mac you are not limited to windows but you could use it as you would do on any "normal" PC.
            I installed windows with bootcamp and as long as Avid canīt provide Xpress as UB, I stay with windows on the mac pro and it works so far for me.

Sure, Bootcamp is still Beta and there are some things that should be fixed before the final release but it works very well and in most cases I canīt see any differences comparing to my old P4 (only that this machine is incredibly fast).

So my advice: wait a little bit until the UB of Avid and plugins you want to use are out (hopefully by the end of the year) and then go for the mac - for me it is the first mac but it is the most lovely and most silent machine I ever had and comparing with HP or Dell or even building it on your own it is even the cheapest one.

Comment

i have avid mojo on my pc and never had a problem and the tv station i used to work at had avid on a mac and they never had problems.
              Please contact Jason Ramsey for DVXuser signature advertising rates.

Comment

Originally posted by emu
                Hi,
                So my advice: wait a little bit until the UB of Avid and plugins you want to use are out (hopefully by the end of the year) and then go for the mac - for me it is the first mac but it is the most lovely and most silent machine I ever had and comparing with HP or Dell or even building it on your own it is even the cheapest one.
                UB of Avid? What do you mean by UB?

Comment

Originally posted by ElvisNTSC
                  UB of Avid? What do you mean by UB?
                  Universal Binary
                  Matt Gottshalk
                  Director of Production
                  BPI.tv

Comment

Originally posted by mcgeedigital
                    Universal Binary
                    Thanks! I'll sleep more intelligent

Comment

I build my Own Machine and its Smoking Fast, no Errors What so Ever and it only cost me $750.00

im running

Intel Dual Core 3.6Ghz
                      4 Gig DDR2 Dual Channel
                      Intel Board (Intel Chipsets)
                      Pny GeForce 7800
                      Audiology Sound Card
                      winXp Pro SP2

again its not the best machine. but take consideration its only $700USD and its Smooth System

oh.. Running Xpress Pro Bubdle (+Mojo)

t
                      Ted Simbajon
                      Avid / IT Tech. Engr.
                      www.brimestone.net
                      Philo Television
                      ---------------------------
                      Avid Media Composer Adrenaline, Avid Unity

Comment

Working...
                      X