Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avid and Premier pro

Hey all.

never posted in this section, so a sort of new HELLLO!

I will be starting film in university this fall and in my course description, it says to become farmilar or browse the AVID website.

My quesiton to you is this. I have always been a PC user, and as i am sure we will be using AVID to edit at school on Macs, will there be problems if i were to save the video onto a portable hard drive, bring it home, work on the movie on a pc with premier pro, then export the files again and bring them to school?

Does that make sense?

I understand i cant save the PROJECT, as in if i did some CC that is not saved yada yada, im just talking about the video files as they are.

Thanks!

and also. I am over comfortable with using premier pro, will i have some ease when i start using avid because of this? Are there, or will there be similarities/farmiliarities between the two softwares?
    sigpic
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2393063/
    Actor
    Musician
    Filmmaker

It will be easier to move the media, projects, and bins and work on a PC based Xpress Pro or Media Composer software (student price $299). Premiere does not support any of the above to easily move back and forth.

Michael
    www.jackintheboxmovie.com

Comment

what if i were to export the files at schoool to a type that premier pro can render?

i guess i dont see Why there would be a problem in the first place, but have doubts.
      sigpic
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2393063/
      Actor
      Musician
      Filmmaker

Comment

Originally posted by PaPa
        what if i were to export the files at schoool to a type that premier pro can render?

i guess i dont see Why there would be a problem in the first place, but have doubts.
        AFAIK Avid doesn't ingest media in a format that other NLEs can read. And doing all the encoding, importing, exporting, and/or double-digitizing to work on a single project on both Avid and PP sounds like a royal PITA.

I've never used PP, but from what I understand it is more Avid/FCP like in it's interface than earlier versions. The learning curve for the basics shouldn't be too high, and if you hit hurdles doing more advanced tasks just ask and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

-A
        Looking For Lenny - feature doc about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy and Free Speech.
        Netflix
        iTunes
        Amazon
        Cable VOD & streaming info

Comment

Well that's the issue - the only file type is most likely exporting the media as QuickTime which loses all its source metadata such as tape name, timecode, etc. You would have to recreate all your timelines by eye to match what may have been done on the Avid side. The same in reverse. Perhaps Automatic Duck has a solution for Premiere. Check out their website at www.automaticduck.com

Michael
          www.jackintheboxmovie.com

Comment

Working...
          X