Shooting in HD then burning to DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting in HD then burning to DVD?

We are planning to shoot with the HXV200 at 720p/24p native and then making DVDs. Will we lose a lot of quality when we go to DVD? Is there a way to make the DVDs and preserve the HD or do we have to make compressed clips to burn to DVD?

Unless you make HD-DVD according to the new HD-DVD specs, all DVD's are standar definition. A down conversion will happen somewhere in the process.
    www.jackintheboxmovie.com

Comment

I guess what I am really wondering is if we shoot HD and then down convert to make the SD DVD- because client is projecting on an SD dvd player- will there be any benefit at all in the end result shooting HD?

thanks,
      p

Comment

Originally posted by Sorch
        I guess what I am really wondering is if we shoot HD and then down convert to make the SD DVD- because client is projecting on an SD dvd player- will there be any benefit at all in the end result shooting HD?

thanks,
        p
        Yes! Acquire in HD and the downconversion to SD will shine.

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
        AVID Symphony
        editing/grading
        - ADOBE suite
        For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
        I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Comment

the benefit is having a master in HD - but you prob will get the same quality by shooting dvcpro50 and then you will have less storage and processing requirements unless you were going to shoot 720 24PN which only captures the 24 frames
          SLM Production Group
          http://www.slmproduction.com - HPX500 available

Comment

Working...
          X