Using Avid...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Avid...

I'm a Vegas user, but at school all we have is Avid. I'm completely clueless on how to use it. Can anyone point in the direction of some good tutorials on how to import 16:9 24p footage, how trim footage, etc.?

Thanks...

When I made the switch to Avid this book saved me: LINK

It's great because it's not written in a way that expects you to read it from start to finish, but rather in a format that makes it easy to learn the one or two things at a time that have you stumped on a given day. I think it's great for anyone coming from a different NLE (not so much for someone brand new to editing).
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.OSmith.net

Comment

I got this book Linky
      Some parts are pretty dense, but it gave me a good head start.... nothing will compare to just spending time on the Avid though... and then ask people around you specific questions or come back here..

Comment

Originally posted by Owen
        When I made the switch to Avid this book saved me: LINK

It's great because it's not written in a way that expects you to read it from start to finish, but rather in a format that makes it easy to learn the one or two things at a time that have you stumped on a given day. I think it's great for anyone coming from a different NLE (not so much for someone brand new to editing).
        I've got that book too and I agree, it's great. It's a 'Visual' book with great illustrations throughout the text.
        Actor / Musician

Comment

retro, are you at USC? If so, I suggest you hound your editing SAs for support, or they won't help. Also, when you do 310/508 you can find me and I will help you learn. Just don't ask me how to put the clip thingy on the timeline thingy!

But before any of that, just play around, experiment... get that book!
          -----
          stephanfleet.com

Comment

You need to get as much exposure to Avid as possible. Books will help, but experimenting with every function is your real teaching tool.

I suggest going to www.avid.com and download avid free dv for your home computer. Upload some bogus footage and play around. This way there is no problem if you screw up something and you can practice all the time.

Comment

I agree with dasonras, and suggest that you also get an inexpensive AD converter board like one of the Pinnacale boards. I picked up Pinnacle Studio 10, which came with the A/D board for 150 bucks, but you can also get the cheaper one for around 80 bucks. Don't use the software that came with it though. Use the free AVID software (of course.) Download VirtualDub to get the footage into your PC and then save what you capture (save it uncompressed.) You'll have to reload the captured footage into VirtualDub and then save that as an AVI (at least I have to...) or use AMCAP, which is a little Microsoft program. Then import your footage into AVID and start to play with it. If you have any questions or part of this doesn't make sense, let me know...
              Actor / Musician

Comment

retro...just curious is vegas the first and only NLE that you have used?

Comment

I don't know what version of Avid you are working with, but this online tutorial is AWESOME:

http://learn.avid.com:8080/content/t.../tutorial.html

You will need Flash installed. Also, check this out:

http://www.avid.com/community/tutorials/index.asp

Comment

Working...
                  X