X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Streamliner
    Hey DC,
    Thanks for this very thoughtful and useful response.
    You are very welcome.

I'll update it as the software/process evolves.

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
    AVID Symphony
    editing/grading
    - ADOBE suite
    For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
    I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Comment

Just a suggestion - as some users have requested this feature. Would it be an idea to make a "Collate MXF for Avid" feature in P2 Genie, which would make it move all MXF audio files into the "VIDEO" folder? Would this be a way to overcome the manual process of copying the MXF files into a single folder?
      Tony
      Kinema / P2 Genie developer

Comment

OK, In preparation for a job shooting next week I went to the editor who is using Avid Adrenalin HD on a PC platform. I dragged all of the folders from my P2 card to a folder on his firewire drive. all loaded OK But he was unable to see anything other than what I shot in the 24pn format. No 24p showed up. 30pn went unrecognized also...Do I just stick to 24pn?

Comment

I imported the P2 per these directions. When I opened the Avid Nitris program and navigated the media tool, the P2 media was there but had this strange double image thing going on. It was as if the image was staked on top of itself. Did I miss something? BTW, the Avid could not scan the DS store file when opening... should I not have copied that over?

Never mind - I was in a 1080 project... pilot error.
          Last edited by 10acguy; 08-27-2006, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Hi I have been using Edius pro broadcast for my MXF files , it is so easy. to advance my knowledge I have the opportunity to try Avid 5.5 Hell I am ripping my hair out. I can use P2 direct. I have tried most of the posts on this thread. I still have not managed to get it to work. I feel that Avid have totaly lost the plot with what is supposed to be a very easy format (MXF) I will certainly stick to Edius and forget about broadening my knowledge. till Avid has a easy system like Edius. Any one else got frustrated??? Cheers Johnc

Comment

tlorenzo, If you get your genie to collate, I'll pay the extra money to upgrade. I switched to avid from vegas cause I didn't want the extra step of going through raylight, but this collating nonsense takes as much time, and I can't figure out avid anyway.

Comment

Have no worries - the P2 Genie will get a "collate to avid" feature soon :-)
                Tony
                Kinema / P2 Genie developer

Comment

P2 MXF File Naming & Avid

Does anybody know what the naming convention is for P2 MXF Files with Avid (5.2.4)? The project we are working on requires that all clips have a unique file name, but we have several duplicates that we need to reconcile... We first tried our preferred idea of prepending the file name with a letter - each batch would be prepended with an "A" or a "B" etc... When we tried to load these into Avid, it didn't see them. Thinking it was the file name length, we went back to 6 characters (from 7) and tried both numbers and letters as the leading character of the file names - still no joy - Avid didn't see those either.

Here are some examples:

0002NW.MXF - Works fine
                  A0002NW.MXF - Doesn't work
                  A002NW.MXF - Doesn't work
                  9002NW.MXF - Doesn't work

Is there some file naming formula that we are missing?

Thanks!

Brantz

Comment

I am working with V.5.7d (beta) and there are some new, useful tools for P2, such as direct import.

The workflow isn't perfect however. I have asked them to include notes on how I typically work, which might be similar to what others here do. They need to instruct users to create Avid MediaFiles folders on their external drives...then create the "1" folder, and copy raw MXF into this folder and import via Media Tool. Everything works nicely this way, however the direct import would be great if those of us who copy our P2 media to DVD-R (and sometimes create a sub folder for the extra media recorded above the 4.5 GB limitation of DVD-R's), and eventually get to the desktop for import.

Also, it should be noted that if you're working with 720/24P recorded material and you want to output via the Mojo for example, you need to create an NTSC 23.976 project, and import your media via Media Tool. This way you can output to Digi Beta, or whatever other pro grade VTR if required for usage on another system. You lose your original timecode but I have found that in those projects not requiring an HD master, it's useful to have something like a D-beta back up. Transcoding in your 720 project is a waste of time -this method allows you instant access to your media without having to transcode.

Comment

Thanks, Joe!

After importing the media in a 23.967 project, how do you recover the sequences to re-build a timeline?

AVID Symphony
                      editing/grading
                      - ADOBE suite

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean about the sequences -presumably you have to create one before you start editing. Once you've done your edit then you output via Digital Cut.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I'm misunderstanding you. I'm assuming you first edit a sequence in a 720P 23.976 project. Then you can import that same footage within an NTSC 23.976 project via Media Tool? But my real question is how do you rebuild the original sequence (from the 720P, 23.976) in the new project (NTSC, 23.976)?

After that, it is a simple Digital Cut with Mojo. That part I get.

AVID Symphony
                          editing/grading
                          - ADOBE suite

Comment

If anyone is wondering whether Avid Xpress Pro 5.6.4 has any better P2 media handling than the 5.4.x versions, my experience says "no." It still loses the A1 track and I still have to delete the database files in the mxf/1/ folder to get Avid to see and use all four audio tracks (with Avid XP not running.)
                            Hello, Canopus?

Comment

Originally posted by bherr
                              If anyone is wondering whether Avid Xpress Pro 5.6.4 has any better P2 media handling than the 5.4.x versions, my experience says "no."
                              You're right. The situation is that it is a manual process and a bit of a hassle, though not much. It kinda makes you long for Avid to create a "wizard" interface to do this sort of thing.

However, Avid Xpress Pro HD v5.7.x and above is supposed to make some welcome improvements to the P2 workflow. For now, we have to wait and see . . .

Originally posted by bherr
                              It still loses the A1 track and I still have to delete the database files in the mxf/1/ folder to get Avid to see and use all four audio tracks (with Avid XP not running.) Hello, Canopus?
                              Hmm, I don't have that problem of losing the A1 audio track with MXF files. Have you tried installing v5.6.6 (it's available as a CPR download from Avid)?

AVID Symphony
                              editing/grading
                              - ADOBE suite

Comment

Thanks for the link, but it looks like Avid has yanked 5.6.6 offline -- it's not on the FTP server anymore. Perhaps the treatment was worse than the illness. The A1 problem is sporadic, but it's been mentioned in this forum and in the Avid user forums. I wonder if they'll charge for "the next big release."

Comment

Working...
                                X