Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Imerino! We've been stumped by that for quite a while, but we knew the clips were basically ok because the Panasonic P2 Player could see and play them.

On that note, has anybody ever seen the Panasonic P2 Player Software for the PC ever play clips at full frame rate and full res? If so, what sort of hot rod PC was it? I'm wondering if 3.2GHz is enough...

Cheers,

Brantz

Comment

Originally posted by Brantz
      . . . has anybody ever seen the Panasonic P2 Player Software for the PC ever play clips at full frame rate and full res? If so, what sort of hot rod PC was it? I'm wondering if 3.2GHz is enough...
      I believe you are refering to the P2 Viewer software. Yeah, it works well. I have an HP nx9600 (3.6Ghz, x600, 1GB RAM) that does the job.

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
      AVID Symphony
      editing/grading
      - ADOBE suite
      For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
      I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Comment

This is an organizational question. Say I have Acid MediaFiles/ MXF/ 1/ 2.projectname-Day1-Card1 in that folder do I have separate folders for Audio and Video for that day and card? Or do I just merge the two?

Comment

Here's my tale with Avid Xpress Pro 5.5.2. Have posted on Avid Forum. Everyone is stumped at the moment... Any good advice would be appreciated. About this Mac: Dual 2.5 GHz G5, 1.5 GB Ram. Avid version 5.5.2 downloaded upgrade, OS 10.4.7. Was running 4.8 (brand new dongle via exchange). Original footage shot on HVX200, 1080i/24P advanced, Captured to FS-100 (which has been updated twice v1 patch on/about 6/3, v2 on/about 7/6). P2 "organize clips" run according to manual, stored on external hard drives (x10). Contents files include Audio (MXF -- not using), Clips (XML), Icon (empty), Proxy (empty), Video (MXF), Voice (empty). Have imported all successfully to FCP (for dailies) and have redundant MOV bu.s.
          Work flow: Created Avid MediaFiles folder w/MXF folder inside, "1" inside on external drive (have also attempted putting on the system drive and an internal media drive --same results). Tried dragging MXF files from Video folder dated 6.02, 51 files, into folder "1" Launched Avid, acknowledged Avid scanning folder, opened project and ran Media Tool and only about 20 clips appeared, in a random order (it occasionally skips clips). Tried another drive with footage after Firestore Patch #2 and same result. Tried copying clips into "1" folder and same result. Can move files out of "1" folder and then new clips appear in Media Tool. When I mounted 2nd drive and opened bin from first drive, clips appeared with new footage from new drive instead of off-line. External drives all have different names. All are formatted for Mac OS (extended or journaled, varies). I seem to be able to move clips with SuperBin disabled. I uninstalled the software and re-installed, same result. The Unistaller said "successful," but noted that there were files it could not delete that "were in use or being used by other applications" though no other apps were running (except finder, of course, which is always running). In one instance, I created an Avid MediaFiles, etc. folder and APX did not scan, then I trashed it and re-made it and it did scan it. I'm writing that last one off to a typo? This is all I can think of. Have followed advice religiously. Long time Avid user. Thanks everyone. Not trying to confuse -- plenty here for all of us.

Comment

This all sounds good but... I jaut fille my first P2 store after some overseas shooting and need to unload NOW for my next shoot. The Avid will recognise the P2 store files no problem i need it empty so i copyed them to my root drive / programs / avid / (new folder) Avid MediaFiles / MXF / 1 and the avid will not see them when i use the media tool after following all the steps mentioned in this post. Yes i have the Avid HD 5.2.4 (up grade) and it is not happening. I guess Avid is not reading the location i hav ethe MXF folders stored or??? PLEASE someone who knows what the hell is going on here HELP. Any info i missed please ask and i'll supply.
            Thanks in advance
            Russian.
            Yes i trippled checked my file names etc. And re read this post many times. There was an Avid Media files program already created in Avid / Avid Xpress Pro HD / SupportingFiles / Avid_MediaFiles but it had the under score so??

Aghhhhh.
            Ps .. shot some amazing 720/30pn at Crankworxs mountain bike event in Whistler last weekend. Sick Cam - i love it (there were many there - shame so few were on sticks - what a waste.) Pani rocks - now if AVid wil get in the game i can do some damage. LOL

Comment

So I am not alone

It is okay to dump the footage, Russian, at least in my experience. FCP will import and convert it. As for Avid, if you will check my thread on their user forum "MXF Import Not Complete" you will see that Avid is working on the problem, but everyone thinks I'm a nut. I think I was the first with a significant amount of files after the update, personally, but I'm open to the idea that I'm an idiot. If/when I get the solution (see my elaborate work-around at Avid Forum) I will pass it on. Good luck to both of us.

Comment

Thanks for the reply eoj, glad i'm not alone with this. I'll check that avid forum - much thanks and goodluck.

Comment

Here's some mistakes i made that were kicking my ass with this MXF transfer stuff. I am using a P2 store, Avid can see and use the MXF files direct from it but i need to dump it on my system so i can use the store empty on another shoot. DC says the Avid MediaFiles folder shoud be in the Avid media drive. I was looking in the Root drive - it wasn't there so i created one and Avid wasn't reading it. (Note DC was right on the money!!) I since found the one Avid created on my Media drive in the first directory. Still Avid would not recognise my media there - WHY???
                  The Answer - i was pulling the Video file off the P2 store and putting it in Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 so after that it was Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/Video and Avid can't read that. I realised my mistake and just opened the video file, grabbed all MXF files and pulled them into the /1 folder.
                  Thats my fix - it works perfect... i was just making a file transfer mistake. Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Did you get an answer to your problem? I have the same problem. Only a few A1s are missing. Thanks

Comment

Has anyone managed to edit mxf files that are split clips? I have a 38 minute interview that nearly filled 2 P2 Cards, and it's in 4 files. I can get Avid Xpress Pro 5.2.4 to load the first in the bin, and see the other segments with the media tool but it doesn't load them from the media tool into the bin.

When the clips are in the p2 card format, the p2 viewer can play the whole 38 minutes.
                      Any suggestions or fixes? Does 5.5 have any better MXF handling than 5.2.4?

Comment

Originally posted by bherr
                        Has anyone managed to edit mxf files that are split clips? I have a 38 minute interview that nearly filled 2 P2 Cards, and it's in 4 files. I can get Avid Xpress Pro 5.2.4 to load the first in the bin, and see the other segments with the media tool but it doesn't load them from the media tool into the bin.

When the clips are in the p2 card format, the p2 viewer can play the whole 38 minutes.
                        Any suggestions or fixes? Does 5.5 have any better MXF handling than 5.2.4?
                        It should work. It does here anyhow( I'm on 5.2.3). Try copying all mxf's from both clips into the Avid mediafolder ( c:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 ) to see if that helps.

If you open the Media Tool, and select Master Clips only, you should see one of the two files ( just the one), but the duration should be the combined length. Drop this one into a bin, and you should have the whole clip.

The funny thing here is, that Avid only shows one of the 2 clips as a master clip, because for Avid, it IS one master clip ( spawned over 2 files). If, in the Media Tool, you select Master Clips AND Media Files, you should see all mxf's from both cards.

Comment

I had all the files in C:\Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 to start with, so I emptied everything, deleted the project and started from scratch. I started Avid first, then moved the files into the "1" folder. Media Tool didn't list all of them, but it did get the whole video sequence and one audio track into the bin. That was enough to match up the separately recorded audio track, so I got what I wanted. I have no idea why it didn't work the first time. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Try copying all files outside of Avid( ie, Avid not running). And to make absolutly sure, trash the Avid databases ( delete the msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb files in te /MXF/1/ folder). Avid rebuilds them automatically.

Comment

Hey DC,
                              Thanks for this very thoughtful and useful response.

Comment

HVX 200 questions....

We are experimenting with the HVX and have had success importing from the P2 card.

Has anyone had success or know the work flow with capturing directly to the avid express pro laptop from the HVX 200? Or directly to a drive and then to the avid?

What about combining in one project both HD and SD? I know frame rates need to match but is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Also, what about backing up and restoring the project at a later date? Can I save media files on DVD discs or a drive and reload them to the appropriate desktop folder, re-open project and presto- everything is back online?

thanks!!

-p

Comment

Working...
                                X