Importing MXF files (originated from Panasonic HVX200/P2) into Avid

If Avid does not support, it does not support, and therefore you cannot import. The latest beta version is supposed to handle XDCam but I haven't used that media in awhile.

I was going to upgrade my AE to 7.0 but it does not support MXF as reported. Would be great if WMP could save as another file that Avid would accept, but that would be asking too much for a 'free' program.

randomprandom said:
I am running Avid Xpress HD 5.2

Avid Xpress Pro HD version 5.2.x

Fill in the x. The process I wrote about was tested for version 5.2.4 only.

The program says "Version 5.2" so I assume 5.2.0?

Joe Digital- FYI- I am importing HVX 720 24p footage... the error says "The import file is not a supported XDCAM MXF file."

Did Avid start supporting HVX HD footage in version 5.2.4? It thought it was advertised to work with version 5.2

EDIT- One thing I noticed was that the Media Tool did not see my files/folders for the Avid Media files. Do I have to move the folder to the root drive?
i.e. c:/avid media files/mxf/1 ?

Right now the drive is under c:/avid/Supported files/avid media files/etc... I'm not sure about the supported files.. its a dir like that. I'm not in front of it right now.

I guess I'm gonna move the avid media files dir around until the media tool sees the files?? Let me know if it sounds like i'm on the right track. ALSO- let me know what the media tool is supposed to look like when there are files to import. Right now it asks me to choose a drive... It lists my system/raid drive and my DVD drive.

TIA

EDIT2: Nevermind... My Avid Mediafiles folder was named Avid_mediafiles... I got rid of the "_" and the media tool found the mxf files and imported them.

Always something easy.. ehh?

Last edited:
randomprandom said:
EDIT2: Nevermind... My Avid Mediafiles folder was named Avid_mediafiles... I got rid of the "_" and the media tool found the mxf files and imported them.

Always something easy.. ehh?

Glad you figured it out. :) Gotta follow those instructions exactly as written when it comes to the directory structure.

wjasonspencer said:
Just as I feared... After Effects doesn't import MXF footage. Looks like nothing does, except the few frame rates/resolutions Avid and other editors support. Focus Enhancements is releasing a converter that works with their hard drive recorders. Oh well, just a test. At least I know now what I can and can't shoot in the real world.

If you have an Avid system, you can get your MXF footage into After Effects real easy: Drop all your footage in a sequence, and export that sequence as a Quicktime Reference. This takes about 1 second. Import in AE( another second), et voila.

Adrenaline and MXF from Firestore FS100

Adrenaline and MXF from Firestore FS100

Has ANYONE had success with the HVX200/Firestore FS100 Avid workflow. I have been testing for 3 weeks now and can't get the Media tool to recognize ALL of the video/audio files in the contents folder. I've been following all of the threads concerning file structure (Avid MXF files/MXF/1) but the media tool will not show all of the files. This problem is happening on 2 different Firestore FS100, both with the new firmware upgrades!

RECENT TEST: Shot 5 scenes with the HVX100/Firestore 100, powered down all equipment and moved to 2nd location. Powered up the equipment and shot 5 scenes (10 total on the FS 100) Organized P2 and copied the Contents folder to my NLE. In the video folder there are10 files and in the audio folder there are 40 files. When I open the Media Tool in the Avids (see system specs below), I can only see the first 5 scenes!

Setup:
PC HP XW8000 Adrenaline ver 2.24, 3 gigs ram, 1.7 terrbytes Avid drives
AND Compaq nw8000 laptop with Avid Xpress HD ver. 5.2.4.

Footage was shot 16:9 30P Pro50 for one test camera test and 720 60P for a second camera test.

bkkcom said:
Has ANYONE had success with the HVX200/Firestore FS100 Avid workflow.

We have been testing the same thing on XpressPro's and Newscutter Adrenalines with the same results: The first captured files transfer fine, but files that are captured later on don't arive at all. Even if we manually copy them to the mediafiles folder. Same goes if we set the capture settings to OMF.

We're still looking for a solution as this is very annoying.

thanks for your reply, I was starting to think I was the only one.......there is now a thread running on creativecow with other users with the same problem. This is really hurting my business after pushing my clients to the DTE mentality. Now I look like the fool.

As long as I shoot ALL of my clips in one location and don't shut power cycle the Firestore, it works. Now someone tell me how practical this is in our business!

OK perhaps I am an idiot but when I create the Avid MediaFiles & MXF & 1 folders, the Media Tool doesn't see the MXF files at all...I've created the folders (but they show up as back slash not forward). The files exist as I can import them into DV Film Maker, but Avid will not see them otherwise. They are labelled as a Day 2 card 1 with the video and audio sub-folders. Is this wrong? I've also found that making sure the folders are not read-only helps when moving folders around...otherwise the media inside is inaccessible. It says it cannot open folder, and if you try to undo, it won't let you do that either. Sorry to bug but I'm about to climb a tower with a high powered rifle if I cannot figure this out.

copy the contents of the audio and video folders directly into the media file/1 directory. then avid will see them- you cannot nest folders

If you want, you could have some sort of naming:
-You drop your footage ftom the first day in the '1'-folder. Create a '2'-folder and drop your second days' footage, and so on.
-It gets even a bit better using 'dot'-notation: the folders in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ folder have to be digits( /1, /2,...), but if you put a dot after it, you can put a description. eg: /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1.Day1Disk2

OK here's a good one: how about so-called off-line files? Apparently the Media Tool can see the files as individual media files (if you try to do this), but it will not import...the reason I tried this is because for some of my clips the associated audio files are labelled as off-line, particularly A1, which is problematic considering that was my Good Audio, whereas 2 & 3 were camera mic and clearly are not acceptable. When I also browse my MXF folder I can see 4 audio files. So why would it choose to not import the first file? Any idea how to bring this file in another way?

It sounds like you may have somehow labeled the folders incorrectly. Check the procedure again.

You can go with a naming structure such as:

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1.YourProjectNameHere-Day1-Card1

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/2.YourProjectNameHere-Day1-Card2

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/3.YourProjectNameHere-Day1-Card3

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/4.YourProjectNameHere-Day2-Card1

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/5.YourProjectNameHere-Day2-Card2

. . . etc.

I've made this particular project one big folder full of MXF files -audio files 2,3, and 4 come in fine with the video file. It is audio 1 that is missing on import but is there in the MXF/1 folder where everything else is. I'll try of course and let you know.

i have had a similar issue - it prob is a permission problem - you need to right click on the files - go to properties - then check that all users have full access and make sure the user you are using avid as is the owner of the files

see if that fixes it - sometimes is doesnt

I'm the Administrator. However I right click each folder, and see they're checked as read-only, even though I created them and made sure they were not read-only. No matter how many times I uncheck read-only and hit apply, the folder always comes up as read only. Even if I create a new folder, it shows up as rad-only. My OMFI folder is also read-only and I have no problems with any of those files...

So none of the MXF files inside these folders come up as read-only. I'm stumped, and yet when I open some of these files in another application and they say they're off-line in the media tool, I can clearly hear the audio. Maybe it is a problem with 5.5 but it hasn't been documented as a problem...maybe I am one of the only ones in beta using MXF. Yet you guys are using older software and not displaying these types of issues. Curious.

Missing P2 MXF Clips in Avid

Missing P2 MXF Clips in Avid

[SIZE=+0]DC - great info on getting P2 MXF's into Avid - thx![/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]We followed that procedure exactly and have gotten some mysterious results... We're using the FS100 (no actual P2 cards) with the P2 file structure. We created several folders in the appropriate Avid media folder location and numbered them in sequence for the different shooting sessions. We copied the video and audio files (plus the xml files) into the folders, fired up avid (5.2.4) and opened the media tool. We saw some clips from some of the folders - but only a dozen or so in total out of the hundreds we were expecting to see. Perplexing![/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]We checked for duplicate file names and couldn't find any. We also started a new project with fresh data bases and tried again - same thing![/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Any ideas? Thx![/SIZE]

For me it gets a little weirder...when I went back and replaced some of the 'offline' MXF audio files, I was able to open Media Tool and bring them in and they were good -except for one thing. When I try to load the clip into the source viewer I get some major access violations and then I am booted out of the application. I assume this is because the clip has the same name as the original that did not have all the audio tracks with it. So I'm not sure if I should delete the original clip (as it is a master clip) and re-import...I guess I will try and see (after all, the video MXF file is backed up) if this works.

Sorry Brantz -I have not worked with the FS100 so I don't know anything about that workflow.

Back