Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's actually MOG Solutions and it allows you to view and playback MXF software. I think it's called The Scribe 3.0. It's a free 30 day trial download, and I can't say how relieved I am that it works and that I was able to recover my A1 files as opposed to having to reshoot.

As a beta tester for Avid I was lucky to get these answers promptly, albeit it was not a satisfactory solution...therefore anyone NOT using the current firmware, please do, or you will end up freaking out when your main audio is lost.

The weird follow up to all of this is that I was able to discover when I made a copied file, it saved all 4 audio channels and the V1 as a new file...However when I tried to pull them into Avid via Media Tool, the strangest thing would happen: as soon as I tried to drag these files into a new bin, all of a sudden the original MXF files no longer showed A1 as offline. I don't know why this happens.

Comment

What strange thing!

One of my biggest concerns, as an HVX200-Brevis35 user, is working with the resulting flipped images. In Avid, you need to apply the "flip-flop" effect to see it properly. I wish there was a way to apply that effect to all the MXF files BEFORE they hit the timeline.

I think a batch conversion would be awesome. For instance, you tell the software to re-write (or overwrite) particular MXF files "flip-flopped" into new MXF files. Naturally, it would be great if Avid could do this internally. Or maybe MOG Solutions Scribe? Or really ANY software! Maybe someone like Tony (coder of the PC version of 'P2 Genie') might be up for the task?

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
      AVID Symphony
      editing/grading
      - ADOBE suite
      For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
      I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Comment

firstly, thanx all! i have been a lurker for a little while and have learned a great deal.

here is my issue:

on versions 5.6.4, 5.6.7, 5.7 of the avid x pro, it seems that if i unlink a p2 .mxf file, i cannot relink it.

anyone else having this issue. reason to unlink, turn off audio 2-4 since they are not needed cuz the good audio is on track 1.

normally, if this was captured via tape, i would just unlink, modify then relink and things are peachy, but.... with the p2, it loses reference and cannot find the media files for it.

oh, by the way, the 5.7 version just released, has a very nifty import directly from the p2 card media structure. copy files to hard drive, import. contents and all. was hoping that 5.7 would allow me to relink the media/master but to no avail.

thanx again everyone!

um_duh!

Comment

this is a known issue because the p2 footage doesnt have a tape name and becuase it doesnt have a tape name you cant give it a tape name (chicken and egg thing) -

One solution is to transcode all footage to the avid codec - then it might be unlinkable and relinkable but i am not sure if that would work
          SLM Production Group
          http://www.slmproduction.com - HPX500 available

Comment

Well the easiest thing to do is keep your A2-4 audio -the files are tiny by comparison to video file size. As I was outlining earlier I only needed my A1 which was offline, but got it sorted out. There really is no reason to discard/delete that media -just don't put it on the timeline while editing -just mute those tracks when dropping onto the timeline and you can work with your single audio track (I find doubling the audio of A1 to A2 sounds nice and full -provided it was recorded well).

Of course it would be a great option to be able to select in camera whether or not you want to record those other tracks as opposed to having all those extra files that you won't be using.

Comment

If you're doubling A1 to A2, that's the same as setting the pan on A1 to mid. Might save a step or two.

Comment

Already do that. I double up like our buddy Phil Spector to improve the overall sound. Try listening to your audio doubled up with center pan versus A1 center panned. Invariably you will likely also have to boost the level on A1 to get a balanced sound mix for output and you'll hear a little more noise than if you simply double the track.

Comment

I feel like a complete moron and i have edited in avid for years and was professionally trained by a certified trainer. I nearly passed the exam to become a trainer.

I can not get the process as you describe to work for me, the media tool does not see any media on the drive i selected and i have mxf files in the mxf/1 or 2 files, nothing i press media tool select drive and all the check marks ( have tried it without all of them and just master) and it loads a window with nothing in it. i could really use some help. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by brettcassell
                    I can not get the process as you describe to work for me, the media tool does not see any media on the drive i selected and i have mxf files in the mxf/1 or 2 files, nothing i press media tool select drive and all the check marks ( have tried it without all of them and just master) and it loads a window with nothing in it. i could really use some help. thank you.
                    Which version of Avid are you using?

This should be a fairly simple process so I'm not sure where you're going wrong. My guess is to check the path name. Make sure your video drive's directory tree appears EXACTLY like this from the root:

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1

You should be putting your video and audio MXF files in that last folder.

On a side note, I'll be appearing on Barry Green's upcoming HVX Bootcamp Vol II DVD where I give a video tutorial of this process. I would imagine this will be released soon.

AVID Symphony
                    editing/grading
                    - ADOBE suite

Comment

DC, any response to your suggestion for an MXF batch flip-flop to handle video shot with a Brevis/Redrock/SGPro style adapter? (image inverted and reversed)

Comment

Joe, did you already mention the old 'move the missing file to the desktop and then back into the media file' trick? That worked for me several times w/the missing audio foolishness...

Comment

Originally posted by bherr
                          DC, any response to your suggestion for an MXF batch flip-flop to handle video shot with a Brevis/Redrock/SGPro style adapter? (image inverted and reversed)
                          Not yet. That would be a fantastic feature though . . .

AVID Symphony
                          editing/grading
                          - ADOBE suite

Comment

Wow, thanks! I'm was still working on getting a grasp on the ins & outs of P2 cards with Avid. This thread helped me alot!
                            Malcolm DeSoto.

Stroopfx.com

Comment

How do you delete anything in this folder?
                              Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1

It says access denied when I try. I copied stuff in there the wrong way and now cant get rid of them.
                              UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

Comment

Had the same problem a few weeks ago. This article helped me solve it.

Comment

Working...
                                X