Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copy the contents of the audio and video folders directly into the media file/1 directory. then avid will see them- you cannot nest folders
    SLM Production Group
    http://www.slmproduction.com - HPX500 available

Comment

Naked files, for all intents and purposes...OK. They are seen. Very good. I will unload the bullets.

Comment

If you want, you could have some sort of naming:
        -You drop your footage ftom the first day in the '1'-folder. Create a '2'-folder and drop your second days' footage, and so on.
        -It gets even a bit better using 'dot'-notation: the folders in the Avid MediaFiles/MXF/ folder have to be digits( /1, /2,...), but if you put a dot after it, you can put a description. eg: /Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1.Day1Disk2

Comment

OK here's a good one: how about so-called off-line files? Apparently the Media Tool can see the files as individual media files (if you try to do this), but it will not import...the reason I tried this is because for some of my clips the associated audio files are labelled as off-line, particularly A1, which is problematic considering that was my Good Audio, whereas 2 & 3 were camera mic and clearly are not acceptable. When I also browse my MXF folder I can see 4 audio files. So why would it choose to not import the first file? Any idea how to bring this file in another way?

Comment

It sounds like you may have somehow labeled the folders incorrectly. Check the procedure again.

You can go with a naming structure such as:

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1.YourProjectNameHere-Day1-Card1

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/2.YourProjectNameHere-Day1-Card2

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/3.YourProjectNameHere-Day1-Card3

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/4.YourProjectNameHere-Day2-Card1

Avid MediaFiles/MXF/5.YourProjectNameHere-Day2-Card2

. . . etc.

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
            AVID Symphony
            editing/grading
            - ADOBE suite
            For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
            I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Comment

I've made this particular project one big folder full of MXF files -audio files 2,3, and 4 come in fine with the video file. It is audio 1 that is missing on import but is there in the MXF/1 folder where everything else is. I'll try of course and let you know.

Comment

i have had a similar issue - it prob is a permission problem - you need to right click on the files - go to properties - then check that all users have full access and make sure the user you are using avid as is the owner of the files

see if that fixes it - sometimes is doesnt
                SLM Production Group
                http://www.slmproduction.com - HPX500 available

Comment

I'm the Administrator. However I right click each folder, and see they're checked as read-only, even though I created them and made sure they were not read-only. No matter how many times I uncheck read-only and hit apply, the folder always comes up as read only. Even if I create a new folder, it shows up as rad-only. My OMFI folder is also read-only and I have no problems with any of those files...

So none of the MXF files inside these folders come up as read-only. I'm stumped, and yet when I open some of these files in another application and they say they're off-line in the media tool, I can clearly hear the audio. Maybe it is a problem with 5.5 but it hasn't been documented as a problem...maybe I am one of the only ones in beta using MXF. Yet you guys are using older software and not displaying these types of issues. Curious.

Comment

Missing P2 MXF Clips in Avid

DC - great info on getting P2 MXF's into Avid - thx!

We followed that procedure exactly and have gotten some mysterious results... We're using the FS100 (no actual P2 cards) with the P2 file structure. We created several folders in the appropriate Avid media folder location and numbered them in sequence for the different shooting sessions. We copied the video and audio files (plus the xml files) into the folders, fired up avid (5.2.4) and opened the media tool. We saw some clips from some of the folders - but only a dozen or so in total out of the hundreds we were expecting to see. Perplexing!

We checked for duplicate file names and couldn't find any. We also started a new project with fresh data bases and tried again - same thing!

Any ideas? Thx!

Comment

For me it gets a little weirder...when I went back and replaced some of the 'offline' MXF audio files, I was able to open Media Tool and bring them in and they were good -except for one thing. When I try to load the clip into the source viewer I get some major access violations and then I am booted out of the application. I assume this is because the clip has the same name as the original that did not have all the audio tracks with it. So I'm not sure if I should delete the original clip (as it is a master clip) and re-import...I guess I will try and see (after all, the video MXF file is backed up) if this works.

Sorry Brantz -I have not worked with the FS100 so I don't know anything about that workflow.

Comment

File Permissions

Joe - I had the same problem in Windows XP and solved it this way:

1) Open Control Panel -> Folder Options
                        2) Under "View" un-check "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" and apply
                        3) You now have granular control of file & user permissions and ownership
                        4) Go to your media folders, right-click on them, go to the "Security" tab
                        5) Add "Administrators" to the "Group or user names:" box.
                        6) Allow "Full Control" in the permissions box.

You should now be able to access the media files and folders.

Hope this helps!

Brantz

Comment

For all of those like myself who could'nt see all of their files when you opened Media Tool.....GOOD NEWS!!!! Matt McEwen from Focus sent me yet another Firmware update. A beta version created 6/19/06. IT WORKS!! Finally after a month, my Firestore/Avid workflow works. I have asked him to keep me updated on the next steps (ie getting P2 folders to work) I don't know if the Beta Firmware has been posted on their site yet, but contact Matt if you need it. His email is on the Firestore page of Creativecow.net

Comment

thanks DC! thanks Brantz!
                            NEW INTERACTIVE WEBSITEsigpic
                            http://www.epphd.com

Comment

Well, the new FS-100 Firmware is up, seems to work fine and Avid can now see all of our new clips - the only question is how do we fix all of our earlier footage so the Avid Media tool can see it? The Panasonic P2 player can read and play it just fine, but not Avid... I understood from Focus that there was a duplicate file naming issue, but all of our clips are uniquely named. I really need to get that footage in there - can anybody help? Thx!
                              Last edited by Brantz; 06-26-2006, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Wow, glad to see things are getting sorted out. A BIG thanks to everyone contributing to this discussion. The big problem is that the P2/MXF workflow, as cool as it is, is so new that the companies are still trying to figure out all the little details. Give 'em time as I'm sure all these issues will be resolved soon.

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
                                AVID Symphony
                                editing/grading
                                - ADOBE suite
                                For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
                                I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Comment

Working...
                                X