• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DC
    What version of Avid?
    I am running Avid Xpress HD 5.2

Comment

I am beta testing 5.5. It is fairly solid, but the overall P2 workflow seems flawed, and I don't think its because of the beta -it is being able to import media that doesn't originate on a P2 card or from the HVX hooked up to the PC -either way you're pulling from P2 which seems to work OK.

I feel like plunging a deep knife into my neck because we've shot content for my feature in a very expensive re-shoot last week, and offloaded our 2 x 8GB cards to my Powerbook. Everything got copied over, but we did have some record problems with some footage -somehow a camera op switched the recording format to 480/24PA while we were shooting...so we actually have 1080i/24 and 720/24P and 480/24PA. Avid will not consider any of these by themselves, so I've had to break down and get the DVFilm for PC.

Now that we aren't losing clips from that program -you absolutely HAVE to follow the steps they say on the website otherwise they go into the ether- we've copied files to DVD and the 720P seems to import OK and we convert to 720/486 (30i) so the AVI can be imported into Avid. Even the 1080i seems to copy over OK, but the 480 content seems to not be copying properly from the Powerbook over to DVD and import to my PC.

The only way I can take content into the Avid project I need the footage in is a 30I project. Media tool does not recognize anything I have copied.

So, the $64,000 question is: how can I verify the MXF content is OK (other than we played back on sset from the P2 card to check if the files were solid and they were) and then get them into Avid if we have MXF files that exist on a hard drive or DVD media backup for a 30i project? lots of cross-coverting taking place, and as I said, so far the 480/24PA is giving me palpitations because I need to cut the scene and send the new rough cut to our broadcaster, but I can't even see my footage to be able to edit it...

Comment

"HVX Coundown" Demo DVD

This post helped me out LOTS. Thanks guys.

Just a quick note for those of us who have tried (and struggled) to use P2 logger and the Panasonic "HVX200 Countdown" demo DVD for P2 tests, remember that Avid won't use DVCProHD 720/59.94p video. Avid Xpress Pro HD doesn't yet support all of the camera's formats, but I hope Avid takes steps to correct this soon. If you're using Panasonic's demo DVD to test P2 with your system only the 1080i video will be seen in the media tool. I'm going to try to transcode the other footage with After Effects, if it's even possible, so I can test 720/24P DVCProHD on my desktop system.

Also, if you're trying to read the MXF files directly from the DVD or harddrive using P2 Logger you need to know that you won't see the files if you're selecting the CONTENTS folder as your target. You'll need to set it to the directory above that in order to see the P2 clips. Had to fiddle with it for a while, then found a post on another website that helped out. Panasonic really needs a help file or something for that program!

My websites:
        http://www.theatomstudios.com - The ATOM Film & Sound Works
        http://www.chroniczing.com - Chronic Zing Entertainment (Film & TV projects)

We're posting an iPod clip our Chronic Zing website soon. It's a film that we did on the original DVX two years ago. It's won a best picture award and two Tellys for production. I'll post a link in the appropriate forum when we get it up there.

Comment

Yep. The camera itself has been out 6 months, and the rest of the world has not yet caught up to it in order to take advantage of all its capabilities.

A Mac version of the P2 viewer would be good for on set transfers to verify the content is working. In the meantime, I think it would be useful to have at least 3 8GB cards and likely 4. We were JUST getting content offloaded in time before we reloaded the P2 cards and formatted. I was really freaked about erasing stuff just shot without being able to do the proper verification of picture and sound, and my concerns have been justified with our current issues.

Comment

No converter for MXF

Just as I feared... After Effects doesn't import MXF footage. Looks like nothing does, except the few frame rates/resolutions Avid and other editors support. Focus Enhancements is releasing a converter that works with their hard drive recorders. Oh well, just a test. At least I know now what I can and can't shoot in the real world.

Comment

Can anyone help me with my problem importing? Please see my post at the top of page 2

Comment

If Avid does not support, it does not support, and therefore you cannot import. The latest beta version is supposed to handle XDCam but I haven't used that media in awhile.

I was going to upgrade my AE to 7.0 but it does not support MXF as reported. Would be great if WMP could save as another file that Avid would accept, but that would be asking too much for a 'free' program.

Comment

Originally posted by randomprandom
                  I am running Avid Xpress HD 5.2
                  Avid Xpress Pro HD version 5.2.x

Fill in the x. The process I wrote about was tested for version 5.2.4 only.

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
                  AVID Symphony
                  editing/grading
                  - ADOBE suite
                  For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
                  I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Comment

The program says "Version 5.2" so I assume 5.2.0?

Joe Digital- FYI- I am importing HVX 720 24p footage... the error says "The import file is not a supported XDCAM MXF file."

Did Avid start supporting HVX HD footage in version 5.2.4? It thought it was advertised to work with version 5.2

EDIT- One thing I noticed was that the Media Tool did not see my files/folders for the Avid Media files. Do I have to move the folder to the root drive?
                    i.e. c:/avid media files/mxf/1 ?

Right now the drive is under c:/avid/Supported files/avid media files/etc... I'm not sure about the supported files.. its a dir like that. I'm not in front of it right now.

I guess I'm gonna move the avid media files dir around until the media tool sees the files?? Let me know if it sounds like i'm on the right track. ALSO- let me know what the media tool is supposed to look like when there are files to import. Right now it asks me to choose a drive... It lists my system/raid drive and my DVD drive.

TIA

EDIT2: Nevermind... My Avid Mediafiles folder was named Avid_mediafiles... I got rid of the "_" and the media tool found the mxf files and imported them.

Always something easy.. ehh?
                    Last edited by randomprandom; 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by randomprandom

EDIT2: Nevermind... My Avid Mediafiles folder was named Avid_mediafiles... I got rid of the "_" and the media tool found the mxf files and imported them.

Always something easy.. ehh?
                      Glad you figured it out. Gotta follow those instructions exactly as written when it comes to the directory structure.

PANASONIC AF100 - SIGMA SD1 still photography -
                      AVID Symphony
                      editing/grading
                      - ADOBE suite
                      For Hire - Los Angeles based, World Traveler
                      I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by canceling it.

Comment

Originally posted by wjasonspencer
                        Just as I feared... After Effects doesn't import MXF footage. Looks like nothing does, except the few frame rates/resolutions Avid and other editors support. Focus Enhancements is releasing a converter that works with their hard drive recorders. Oh well, just a test. At least I know now what I can and can't shoot in the real world.
                        If you have an Avid system, you can get your MXF footage into After Effects real easy: Drop all your footage in a sequence, and export that sequence as a Quicktime Reference. This takes about 1 second. Import in AE( another second), et voila.

Comment

Adrenaline and MXF from Firestore FS100

Has ANYONE had success with the HVX200/Firestore FS100 Avid workflow. I have been testing for 3 weeks now and can't get the Media tool to recognize ALL of the video/audio files in the contents folder. I've been following all of the threads concerning file structure (Avid MXF files/MXF/1) but the media tool will not show all of the files. This problem is happening on 2 different Firestore FS100, both with the new firmware upgrades!

RECENT TEST: Shot 5 scenes with the HVX100/Firestore 100, powered down all equipment and moved to 2nd location. Powered up the equipment and shot 5 scenes (10 total on the FS 100) Organized P2 and copied the Contents folder to my NLE. In the video folder there are10 files and in the audio folder there are 40 files. When I open the Media Tool in the Avids (see system specs below), I can only see the first 5 scenes!

Setup:
                          PC HP XW8000 Adrenaline ver 2.24, 3 gigs ram, 1.7 terrbytes Avid drives
                          AND Compaq nw8000 laptop with Avid Xpress HD ver. 5.2.4.

Footage was shot 16:9 30P Pro50 for one test camera test and 720 60P for a second camera test.

Comment

Originally posted by bkkcom
                            Has ANYONE had success with the HVX200/Firestore FS100 Avid workflow.

We have been testing the same thing on XpressPro's and Newscutter Adrenalines with the same results: The first captured files transfer fine, but files that are captured later on don't arive at all. Even if we manually copy them to the mediafiles folder. Same goes if we set the capture settings to OMF.

We're still looking for a solution as this is very annoying.

Comment

thanks for your reply, I was starting to think I was the only one.......there is now a thread running on creativecow with other users with the same problem. This is really hurting my business after pushing my clients to the DTE mentality. Now I look like the fool.

As long as I shoot ALL of my clips in one location and don't shut power cycle the Firestore, it works. Now someone tell me how practical this is in our business!

Comment

OK perhaps I am an idiot but when I create the Avid MediaFiles & MXF & 1 folders, the Media Tool doesn't see the MXF files at all...I've created the folders (but they show up as back slash not forward). The files exist as I can import them into DV Film Maker, but Avid will not see them otherwise. They are labelled as a Day 2 card 1 with the video and audio sub-folders. Is this wrong? I've also found that making sure the folders are not read-only helps when moving folders around...otherwise the media inside is inaccessible. It says it cannot open folder, and if you try to undo, it won't let you do that either. Sorry to bug but I'm about to climb a tower with a high powered rifle if I cannot figure this out.

Comment

Working...
                                X