Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data mangement

Hey guys,

We're currently wondering what to do about data mangement with MC7. The thing is, we'll be working on two different computers for the most part, and we might not be on the same location all the time. Is it possible to buy a really fast external harddrive, make both the Avid versions have the MediaFiles folder point to that, so whichever computer we hook the harddrive onto, that given Avid version will pick up the project we're working on.

I hope that made sense

Cheers

What kind of computers are we talking about? How much footage? Are you planning to work in the field or only in the studio?

With only 2 computers, the most economical option may be to fit each one out with it's own direct attached RAID array and then use a simple ethernet network or external drives to copy media as needed.

The cost of any shared storage system that 2 computers can edit from at the same time will easily be in the four to low five figures.
    Post production is not an afterthought!
    www.arniepix.com

Comment

It'll exclusively be studio work.

I just reread what I wrote, and I should be more clear in my intend.

This is how it'll work:

I have a computer at my own studio where I'll be doing some editing.
      My partner is sitting in another town with another computer. I would like for us to have a solution, where we somehow can share our projects between those computers, by bringing the media along, whenever we switch position. As such, only one computer will ever be linked to the material at a time, however we would like to be able to safe the work on one computer, move location to another computer, and continue on said project.
      Now, obviously, the easy solution would be to just bring the computers along, however I would like to avoid this if possible. Ultimately, our setup will endup being in the same studio, however we're not doing this as a full-time occupation yet, so until we can afford that, we're looking for a workable solution. I'm not sure if this is doable at all?

Comment

There won't be any problems transferring the one drive between two computers. Just don't forget to take the project file with you.

-Andrew
        Looking For Lenny - feature doc about comedian Lenny Bruce's timeless impact on stand-up comedy and Free Speech.
        Netflix
        iTunes
        Amazon
        Cable VOD & streaming info

Comment

The simple method is to mail drives back & forth. You can ftp project folders, bins or AMA files when you need to.
          Post production is not an afterthought!
          www.arniepix.com

Comment

Working...
          X