Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegas Pro 12 to Avid Media Composer 6

Hi guys,

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but I am really trying to open a project in Avid Media Composer 6 from Vegas Pro 12.

I know I won't get the color/effects/text/or any effects done to audio over to Avid, and thats fine. I am trying to make my rough cuts in Vegas Pro 12 since it would be quicker in vegas, and then I would like to import the file into Media Composer 6 to master.

The other thing is, I have footage and photos from different source files. Some footage is Mpeg2, other footage is AVI, and other footage is AVCHD. Photos are a mix of PNG and JPEG. This is for a little instructional video I am trying to do and the material was given to me, I didn't shoot it or anything like that.

I just want to get the edited timeline (no effects) into Avid Media Composer 6, I tried the AAF file (there is literally an option for Media Composer) but the thing didn't work! Yikes!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also - I am thinking of using Vegas to continue building the lower thirds and other graphics on Alpha Channel as an MXF file (if thats possible?) to use in Media Composer... Does that sound crazy? Or does that sound like a workable idea? I don't own After Effects or Premiere Pro, and would have to kinda start from scratch with that to learn it which would take some time...

What is it that you want to achieve as far as mastering is concerned in MC 6 that you can't do in Sony Vegas? I would think that much of what you need is right there in Vegas, given the project description you provided. I have Vegas up to 9, not 12, but did check it out for features and such.

Comment

Originally posted by IHEARTCOMICS View Post
      open a project in Avid Media Composer 6 from Vegas Pro 12.
      [..]
      I am trying to make my rough cuts in Vegas Pro 12 since it would be quicker in vegas, and then I would like to import the file into Media Composer 6 to master.
      [..]
      I just want to get the edited timeline (no effects) into Avid Media Composer 6
      [..]
      Also - I am thinking of using Vegas to continue building the lower thirds and other graphics on Alpha Channel as an MXF file (if thats possible?) to use in Media Composer...
      1) I'm with hscully here, everything you need is already in Vegas. I don't get why you would like to edit and export from Vegas, to import in Media Composer in order to export *again* from Media Composer...
      2) I'd say, learn how to edit in Media Composer. Not that hard (I know, I've done it a few weeks ago). There's several video on CreativeCow, but this one should help a lot to start:

and this one as well:

3) I don't get it. I would understand to edit the video in one program, export and edit audio in another one, but video for video...I don't get it.
      4) You can use the "selective pre-render" option. Select the portion of the timeline, create a pre-rendered videos (in any format you want) but it will only affect Vegas' preview as far as I know. There will be files created for that, but I don't know if you can use it in Media Composer. Again, as far as I know, if it's not "Avid" certified files, Media Composer will convert them anyway.
      Originally posted by hscully View Post
      What is it that you want to achieve as far as mastering is concerned in MC 6 that you can't do in Sony Vegas? I would think that much of what you need is right there in Vegas, given the project description you provided. I have Vegas up to 9, not 12, but did check it out for features and such.
      I'm with you. Everything you need is already in Vegas. He should either choose to edit in one or the other, but not switching from one to the other.
      I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The thing is, I have a hard time importing footage into Media Composer from various sources (for examples, 24p on a 30p timeline.) I can quickly and easily do that, and do a quick cut in Vegas tho since I am just learning Avid.

However, when I opened a clip in Avid, and did a quick "auto" color correction as far as contrast, saturation, and white balance... it actually looks good! Vegas doesn't have those quick options that looks that good... So that's kinda where I think mastering the footage in Avid would work. Plus, I believe Avid has more output options?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, and I will definitely check that video out, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by IHEARTCOMICS View Post
          I can quickly and easily do that, and do a quick cut in Vegas tho since I am just learning Avid.
          [..]
          However, when I opened a clip in Avid, and did a quick "auto" color correction as far as contrast, saturation, and white balance... it actually looks good! Vegas doesn't have those quick options that looks that good...
          [..]
          I believe Avid has more output options?
          1) Make sure to invest a couple hours, spend some time into Avid and learn how to do a Three-point edit. It's just as simple as that, and once you'll have 2-3 clips on the timeline, you'll know how the "Overwrite" and "Insert" works, you'll be able to trim the footage if it's too long on the timeline. It won't take more time to perform a god edit in Avid. That, and once the videos are converted to Avid's MXF files, the playback is seamless in real-time, in plain quality. Way better than in Vegas.
          2) In every NLE, you can achieve that quickly. Levels, Curves and Hue&Saturation are the three "essential" plugin for color correction/picture adjustment. You don't need anything else, except for adding grain or extra effects. But basically, Vegas has some powerful features for that.
          3) Not that I'm aware of. Vegas can render in pretty much any format, as long as you have the right codecs installed. Just like Media Composer does. In fact, Vegas even support FrameServing output:

FrameServing is a nice output method, because you create a "fake" video, which you can use as an input in another software to encode. So you output from Vegas and input directly into another software, like VidCoder, which creates better h.264 videos than Vegas (in my personal opinion).
          I DO IT BECAUSE I CAN. I CAN BECAUSE I WANT TO. I WANT TO BECAUSE YOU SAID I COULDN'T.

Comment

If you prefer to stay in Vegas you can get the same results you get in Media Composer regarding color correction, saturation, brightness and contrast. Here's a video that talks about it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGc3O0eANjw

Comment

Thanks again for all the help.

Comment

Working...
              X