Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

making the switch

Hi guys,

About ready to bite the bullet and make the switch from FCP to Avid and I have a couple of questions. I have an old imac that ran FCPS wonderfully and I wonder if it will be able to handle MC 6.
    I've read the "qualified system requirements" page on the avid website and didn't really understand it. Perhaps you all can help.

I have an intel core i3 3.06ghz imac
    8gigs of ram
    radeon graphics card 256mb
    Osx 10.6.8

(going to upgrade to lion)

Will my machine be able to run MC 6 as well as it handled FCP 7 or will I need to upgrade my machine as well?

Also, I realize that I won't be able to burn dvd's via DVDSP anymore and Avid dvd burning software is PC only. What might my options be in terms of DVD authoring?

Thanks for any input offered.

I'm not sure how well the iMacs run Avid (I'm on a MacPro) but just going off your system specs, you'll probably be fine. Maybe download the trial first just to be sure?

I still use DVD Studio Pro for my DVD authoring. Just "send to - QT reference" or export using a QT reference and encode it and drop it in.
    HPX170 | Shoot35 35mm Adapter | HVX200 | DVX100a | GoPro Hero2 | Avid Media Composer 6

Comment

I run Avid on a current iMac - albeit a fast i7 and everything works well. Your iMac is probably OK. I dunno... just download the free trial?

Methinks we need a sticky here - CURRENT AVID FREE TRIAL - or something, with a link to where to download it.

It would help with a lot of "will my computer work?" questions.

Bruce Allen
      www.boacinema.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

Much appreciated.

I'll download the trial today.

Comment

If you decide you want to buy Avid, they have a special offer for FCP users. Avid Symphony, which is better than MC, for $1K. The offer is good through June 15th.
          Jan vs Jim... I'm putting my $ on the Jersey Girl.

Comment

Working...
          X