Should I upgrade to the newest version of Avid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I upgrade to the newest version of Avid

Right now I have Avid Media 3.5, I am about to start a series of new projects. I am still a new user to Avid and wondering if it is worth it for me to upgrade to 6. I know sometimes in the past with FCP it wasn't worth the upgrade sometimes to just get a few extra features.

I will be working with XD Cam footage

avid 6 is waaaay different from 3.5 - it costs money - but i love it and the new features make it really awesome with long form projects.

i cosign it heavily - especially if you want to deal with newer formats - 3.5 i dont think handles h.264 well - 6 rocks it! Red, h.264 and XDCAM are all 5.X -> 6.X domain

let us know your choice

Comment

Good heavens, yes! The upgrade is pretty cheap from old Avids, for one thing. At least download the trial.

You could of course wait for 6.5 though... NAB maybe?

Bruce Allen
      www.boacinema.com

Comment

Hey thanks for the replies, yeah trying out the trial is a good idea and if you have any other feedback that can help me sell to my boss why it would be worth it for him to upgrade, it would be very helpful.

I guess one thing that would be nice to know, is 6 a lot faster then 3.5, thus could save time, thus saving money

Comment

On 6.0 the workflow is better, they've cleaned up a few issues. Additionally it will allow you to work with the newest camera codecs for tapeless acquisition (seems like there's a new one weekly). Lastly, it will import Mac ProRes files natively, so . If you ever get footage from outside sources the last two alone will make it worth it- saved me several times.
          Want to make a small fortune in the production business? Its easy, start with a large fortune.

Comment

Working...
          X