Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.HELP WITH NLE capturing-avid xpress and premiere

Hey all, I was hoping for some help.

I usually edit on Avid Express DV. When shooting in 24p mode I was unable to capture in avid xpress. I could capture in premiere (i hate 6.5) but not progressive...so I had all the nasty interlacing going on.

Firstly: does anyone know how to capture DVX footage (shot at 24p) in Avid Xpress DV? (it said something about not liking a drop frame tape...)

Secondly. When premiere pro comes out, are we going to be able to capture the gorgeous full images that this camera records?

Thanks in advance.
    ~cal

Re: .HELP WITH NLE capturing-avid xpress and premi

Sorry for the abrupt move, this is really the place for your question. I have never used Avid, so I can't help.

Best regards,
    ScreechingHalt Productions
    Most lenses and most cameras are better than most photographers.

Comment

Xpress DV does not capture 24p native from the DVX100. It only has 30i project types. Xpress Pro has support for the ADVANCED pulldown allowing you to work in a true progressive project at 24fps. You will see a new project type in the prjet window "23.976". Select it and digitize away. There are no further settings for you to set.

Michael
      www.jackintheboxmovie.com

Comment

;D Thanks for the help...any idea what people are doing in the mean time?

~cal

Comment

In the meantime, all you can really do is edit at 30fps. When working at 30fps, it is best you shoot at 24p NORMAL and it will look like a film to tape transfer. ADVANCED mode will look a bit more choppy if you do not remove the ADVANCED pulldown ahead of time before editing.

Michael

Comment

So can premiere pro capture progressive without interlace?
            Don't care about 24 as I work at 25.
            Thanks for a straight answer. YES or NO

Comment

Not so simple answer.

When an NLE captures the material off of a mini DV tape, it captures it in regular mini DV format (ie: 29.97) even if it's shot 24PA.

What you then need is an NLE to recognize the 2:3:3:2 pulldown of 24pa and decode it accordingly.

Premiere Pro does not do this. (it supposedly has a plug in on the way...we'll see.) I got super pumped about Prem Pro when it came out, but it's not so hot.

I have an athlon 1800 with a gig of Ram, and it has problems scrubbing video files under 1meg if they're not regular DV. I imported my 24PA footage into AE 6, did the 24PA pulldown...it worked great, then when I exported premiere pro couldn't handle the files.

Premiere really has to get it's act together or they're going to lose all of us to Xpress pro when it comes out.
              ~cal

Comment

Xpress Pro is designed to work with the ADVANCED pulldown mode as well as delay audio when capturing by "n" of frames. The audio delay feature is on the capture window.

Comment

Working...
                X