Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to export files to another system?

Hey All,

I posted this question on the Vegas forum too in the hope that someone might know how to do this:

I have a company that shot footage for me on an HVX200. The have imported all the files into an AVID are are trying to deliver files to me (On my PC).

The first thing we tried was having them export uncompressed AVI's. They couldn't export anything over 4 GB, so this did not work as the footage was much longer than that.

Next we tried having them export uncompressed .MOV files. When the files got here they imported into Vegas, but are not 1280x720, instead they all show up as 960x720 with everything being squeezed. If I set the project to 1280x720 and then set the clips to not maintain aspect ration then they look correct, but I assume I am losing resolution doing this. BTW - if I open these files in QT they look correct...so I assume that QT is doing some kind of stretch on them.

So what gives? What is the proper procedure to get uncompressed 1280x720 24p footage from AVID to Vegas?

Well, the fact that Avid is cooler then anything from Sony aside... :-D

Seriously though, it sounds as if Vegas is doing the conversion for you. Do some comparisons and see if theres any quality loss.
    Originally posted by TimurCivan
    one is french and its different for that reason.

Comment

Hmm...maybe I didn't make the problem very clear. Let me try to clarify - The original files are being loaded into Avid. Then Avid is outputting a file to an HD and that file is what I want to import into Vegas. We've tried having Avid export an uncompressed AVI, but it seems unable to do that. We've tried to have it export an uncompressed MOV, but they are coming out as 960x720 instead of the expected 1280x720. SO...even before these files reach Vegas, something has gone wrong.

Does anyone have a prescribed method of doing this kind of transfer?

Comment

I have a little more information on this. Turns out the PAR when set to 1.33 yields a 1280x720 result, and the spec for this footage is a PAR of 1.33. So one mystery solved.

However, why can't my people with the Avid system export an uncompressed AVI larger than 4 GB? The drive is formatted NTFS, and they have successfully export very large MOV's. Any ideas?

Comment

Avid exports old school AVI files that had a limit of 4GB. To get a better AVI from Avid they need to export a quicktime reference and take it into an encoding/compression program like Squeeze and make a template there to create an AVI.

Also, what you're seeing with your file is normal, I believe. The HVX shoot thin raster, and your system blows it up to fill the right spec--1280x720, 1920x1080. If your Avid guys transcode their DVCProHD footage to DNxHD it will make a full raster file, then they can export a quicktime to the DNxHD codec. You'll need to download and install the Avid codecs on your system to view them, though, but the codecs are a free download.

Michael.

I'll be working late.

Comment

You can always export sequential TIFF files as another method to move the media from system to another.
            www.jackintheboxmovie.com

Comment

If they send ya the tapes, you can bring em in the right way with no wrestling matches.
              I wasn't aware that avid products could even export images at 1280X720.
              Mine can't.

Comment

perhaps using a high quality 3rd party codec like SHEER video or Cineform would help you out.

Comment

Working...
                X