No announcement yet.

Micro P2 start to falling apart physically after 1 year of normal use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HPX250: Micro P2 start to falling apart physically after 1 year of normal use

The good old saying of "You Get What You Pay For" pretty much sums it up: After using the 32 Gb Micro P2 for just a over a year, it started to fell apart. Prices were about half the cost to series F P2 and in some cases even cheaper in the 2nd hand market. Back then I thought P2 will be phased out in favor of Micro P2. It appeared too good to be true with Micro P2. Was about to completely get rid of P2. Glad I didn't. I experienced similar "adhesive falling apart" problem on the Transcend 64 Gb SDHC and Kodak 2 Gb (for metadata) cards last year. The write protect tabs would fall off then the actual SDHC would peel off gradually. I inquired more to Panasonic about the problem w/ SDHC and they all said not to worry on Micro P2. It's just not possible for Micro P2 to fall apart. For both cases, the super strong glue just won't hold together after a period of time and/or # of insertion and removal cycles. Lucky I got all data off. This was under normal average use. Nothing out of the extreme. My main use is the P2 media. Micro P2s are just for supplemental use.

That 32 Gb Micro P2 was mostly used inside the climate controlled studio for a year. An average of 3-4 uses per week. Lots of insertion and removal cycles from the cam, to a MBPro SDHC, iMac, and external USB3 stand alone readers. It was not used under extreme such as putting it in a wallet or pocket where physical pressure are even greater for the fragile SDHC media form factor. I suspect lots of insertion and removal cycles really stressed out the card. It is probably something that can't accurately simulated in a lab environment. Not sure how R&D can help to improve on this for future SDHCs.

I gave SDHC/Micro P2 benefit of the doubt but it failed. Maybe I have a bad batch of Micro P2 cards. But it's not comforting to continue with SDHC/Micro P2. Still sticking to the P2. The oldest cards (16 Gb) I have is about 8 years and it's still in use as of now. Traveled to about 8 countries. 4 were the most humid. I placed in my pocket, wallet, rear pocket and virtually all physically abusive conditions that I can throw at it and they still work in 2015! Have quite a few E series from 2010 era and they're solid. And recent F series are well made as well after 3 years of heavy broadcast TV workflow use. Hmm, no plans to upgrade to PX-270 or PX-380 with Micro P2 slots as the primary media.

I'll contact Panasonic to see if it's still under warranty repair. So much for their claim of being 10x more robust than the typical SDHC. What a joke. I'm having second thoughts about couple of other 32 Gb & 64 Gb Micro P2 that I have. Probably may have to get rid of them in favor of P2 if more of the Micro P2s start to break apart. Quality P2 media may soon become a relic of the past in favor of short term disposable media in the next decade if this keeps up.

Attached are images of the broken 32 Gb P2 for ref:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lonewolf2koc@hotmail.com; 09-09-2015, 04:40 AM.

Thank you for the information!

Comment

These should have been made of metal. Personally, I preferred the larger P2 cards.
      Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
      Red Weapon 8K

Comment

I suspect manufacturing Micro P2 with metal shell will increase the cost significantly. Perhaps P2 is too reliable and they need something lesser of quality in media construction (Micro P2) so that there's a revolving cycle of revenue to the corp. They already implemented limited read/write cycle to series E & F cards as a way to not being able to extend the P2 media lifespan. A & R series didn't have this. Not sure how long they can last. P2 arguably killed the demand for DVCPRO tape. It's hard to find a new tape based HDX-900 these days or any tape decks on P's site. If I'm not mistaken, P2 is really made out from four of the high grade SDHCs media in a RAID configuration but with a much more robust all-metal housing.

Originally posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
        These should have been made of metal. Personally, I preferred the larger P2 cards.
        Last edited by lonewolf2koc@hotmail.com; 09-12-2015, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Did you contact Panasonic? What did they say?

Comment

As has been mentioned in other threads regarding the 270, most of us seem to wish for dual P2 slots, and I agree. SD and micro P2 just makes me nervous compared to the very robust full sized cars. Of course the consumers drove the boat towards the lesser expensive micro cards with the endless gripping about the cost of full sized cards a few years back. Yes they are expensive, and yes they are extremely reliable. But that didn't seem top matter to the minions that wanted the best memory on the market to also be cheap or similar in price to SD cards.

P2 and the I-frame codec with internal recording is the primary reason I stuck with Panny and recently purchased 270.

I my case, I'll just leave the 2 micro P2 cards in the cam and only remove them when absolutely necessary and use the full sized cards for removal. At least as much as possible.

I do suspect that the OPs card issue should be a warranty if within the warranty period.

Grant

Comment

I'll get this done within next month or so. Have yet to go to the proper process. They may likely give me a new Micro P2 replacement under reasonable normal usage, wear & tear warranty clause. Pointless to repair it.

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
              Did you contact Panasonic? What did they say?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf2koc@hotmail.com View Post
                I suspect manufacturing Micro P2 with metal shell will increase the cost significantly.
                Thin aluminum, laser cut and folded would be $10 extra per card tops. With the cost of microP2 being so cheap in comparison to P2, even $50 extra a card for metal housings would be fine for most of us.
                Didn't the original plan for microP2 include a metal casing?
                Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
                Red Weapon 8K

Comment

I'm looking at yet again another recently broken SDHC card fr Maxell just last week. This is the 4th broken SDHC in 4.5 years. When I pulled the rec tab off, it just come apart. I think the weakest link on SDHC media is that write protect switch. To keep it working longer, I'd not ever touch that write switch. Now, I don't know how can they cheaply produce metal housing with SDHC media. It's simply too thin and small for it to properly adhere together at least 5-10 years like P2. If it's a bit thicker like the P2 media SxX, or even CF cards then better chance. Perhaps they scrapped the idea of metal housing for Micro P2/SDHC. Only time will tell as more Micro P2 users will reporting their media are physically breaking apart.

Originally posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
                  Thin aluminum, laser cut and folded would be $10 extra per card tops. With the cost of microP2 being so cheap in comparison to P2, even $50 extra a card for metal housings would be fine for most of us.
                  Didn't the original plan for microP2 include a metal casing?

Comment

Having a different problem with the micro P2 cards. Purchased 2- 64GB Micro cards plus P2 Adaptor. All was great until I tried to EXPORT the footage to an external HD. When I tried using my HPX250 Camera the file would not export. I had also purchased the EXPENSIVE HPD24 P2 reader/Deck. Same problem as I had with the HPX250. Everything worked EXCEPT it would not let me EXPORT to an external drive. Been on the phone with Panasonic's PASS techs and they have yet to solve this problem. They initially suggested that I install the latest software updates for my HPX250 and my HPD24 Deck. I updated those items and STILL having the SAME PROBLEM.... NO EXPORT. My most recent suggestion to the PASS folks is that I ship the 2 64GB mini P2 cards plus the Adaptor BACK to Panasonic and in exchange they send me 2 full size 64GB P2 Cards. Waiting for a response at time of this writing. (HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL !)

Comment

Yikes! I guess SDHC cards on the HPX-250 are meant to be read on the laptop's slot and not through the cam's.

What I learned with Micro P2 and P2: One's reputation is far more valuable than saving a few hundred bucks per card. Pay full price for P2. Micro P2 is doomed with limitations and defects. Over time it actually will cost more. I had it with Micro P2. Can't afford another blunder in media reliability. Lucky I have not experienced on important events yet. And certainly beyond shadow of doubt WILL NOT be using Micro P2 on important events.

Originally posted by Hughie286 View Post
                      Having a different problem with the micro P2 cards. Purchased 2- 64GB Micro cards plus P2 Adaptor. All was great until I tried to EXPORT the footage to an external HD. When I tried using my HPX250 Camera the file would not export. I had also purchased the EXPENSIVE HPD24 P2 reader/Deck. Same problem as I had with the HPX250. Everything worked EXCEPT it would not let me EXPORT to an external drive. Been on the phone with Panasonic's PASS techs and they have yet to solve this problem. They initially suggested that I install the latest software updates for my HPX250 and my HPD24 Deck. I updated those items and STILL having the SAME PROBLEM.... NO EXPORT. My most recent suggestion to the PASS folks is that I ship the 2 64GB mini P2 cards plus the Adaptor BACK to Panasonic and in exchange they send me 2 full size 64GB P2 Cards. Waiting for a response at time of this writing. (HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL !)

Comment

Originally posted by Hughie286 View Post
                        Last year I read a post about the 250 only supporting microcards with adapter up to 32gig for output. Maybe Google that..

Comment

32 Gb limit for P2? Quite unacceptable excuse for a big corporation. I still don't get why there's no 128 Gb P2. Sony already have it years ago with the SxS. Overall from many other user sites, P2 is literally been abandoned by pros (except mostly TV broadcasters). Virtually zero response from P2, Varicam 4K, etc.. The mass majority moved to other formats. Perhaps that's why P decided to pretty much cease any improvements or refinements to the format.

Originally posted by JohnnyD View Post
                          Last year I read a post about the 250 only supporting microcards with adapter up to 32gig for output. Maybe Google that..

Comment

Yup, no go for dumping micro P2 cards from camera directly to USB HD. I hit this on an out-of-town shoot where I intended to dump to external HD from the cam. Full-size card dumped fine, failed for junior. Back home I finally talked to an engineer at Panny and he confirmed my suspicions: no standalone HD dump for micro P2 from 250. If you use P2 viewer on a computer with the 250 connected as USB device then you can easily pick and choose shots and transfer clips at will and the program will handle all the metafile management. It's a pain in the backside and an obvious engineering/marketing fail to lose functionality that existed in previous cameras. When I was investigating this the engineer could only find ONE mention of the limitation on a very obscure web page; nothing in the manual, etc.

Comment

Nice thing about exporting on the HPX-250 is that you can set it and go to lunch or bed and the 2 slots will be done with verify option on. Downside is that it looks like I can only export to Type S formatted hdd. That Type S formatted hdd has to be dedicated for P2 workflow only. FAT is only available on the AG-MSU10 or other specialized P2 decks. There will be situation where non-laptop/computer offload is desired.

Originally posted by zjrt02 View Post
                              Yup, no go for dumping micro P2 cards from camera directly to USB HD. I hit this on an out-of-town shoot where I intended to dump to external HD from the cam. Full-size card dumped fine, failed for junior. Back home I finally talked to an engineer at Panny and he confirmed my suspicions: no standalone HD dump for micro P2 from 250. If you use P2 viewer on a computer with the 250 connected as USB device then you can easily pick and choose shots and transfer clips at will and the program will handle all the metafile management. It's a pain in the backside and an obvious engineering/marketing fail to lose functionality that existed in previous cameras. When I was investigating this the engineer could only find ONE mention of the limitation on a very obscure web page; nothing in the manual, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X