New PannyCam PX380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTHER: New PannyCam PX380

Just announced, the successor to the orphan 370. Near as I can tell the update brings it to par with the PX270 in most respects except for the form factor differences. I really want a shoulder mount form factor, but I would have to really love a shoulder mount a lot to pay 11,499 for one compared to a rebated price for a PX270 of just north of 4k. Really? If it was inline with the old 370 price of around 7k, well maybe. I'm sure it would be a dandy cam regardless, but there are lots of options north of 10k.

Grant

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rd_camera.html

That is rich for a 1/3" chip camera. You could buy a PX270 and a DVX-200 and still have money leftover for memory cards and cases.

Comment

My thoughts exactly. I love the features of my PX270 and it makes great images. And at the price, I think it's a veritable steal. But I really cannot get into the handheld form factor and believe deep down that serious video cameras were meant to sit well-balanced on the shoulder. Unfortunately, I don't see anything in the PX380's features or specifications lists that set it far apart from the PX270 in performance, yet it's heavier and costs almost three times as much. It seems like an awful lot to pay for what is basically just a redesigned housing. Wouldn't turn it down if somebody wanted to give me one for Christmas, though.

- Greg

Comment

The price will have to come down, and suspect it will find its level after a while and bet it will do ok at 7.5k with lens and VF. I wonder how well the 370 did at that price point?

Presently you could buy a C300 mk1 and a couple of L series lenses for 11.5k. I'd still like to have a 380 to match my new 270.

And, they went with only one full sized P2 slot......dumbasses

Comment

Thanks for posting!
          impressive looking camera but 1/3 chips and $11K+ for a shoulder mount px270?! No thank you. That 17X lens is probably better than the 22X of the 270 but .....

maybe if it had 3X 1/2 chips I'd be a little more excited.
          Im a shoulder mount guy but for for the difference id choose handheld

Comment

Originally posted by firehawk View Post
            That 17X lens is probably better than the 22X of the 270 but .....
            Admittedly, I'm shooting from the hip here as I haven't seen or tested it, but ... I wouldn't necessarily count on it. On the one hand, the PX270 22X lens is pretty good (variable aperture being the weakest point), and on the other, the stock Fujinon lens that came with the HPX370 was really surprisingly bad -- soft in the corners, especially at wide angle, and with a lot of CA. Definitely the weakest interchangeable ENG style lens I've ever encountered. They MIGHT have found a better lens for the PX380, but that could also be why it costs a lot more, and I'd want to see some test charts and real life footage before concluding that it's really better than the PX270 for the money.

- Greg

Comment

Only a single P2 and two Micro P2 slots? Unbelievable. At least offer two slots for P2 & Micro P2 at this price range like the PX-5000. I'm not at all hooked into Micro P2 media. Why would one need to spend more on the already expensive P2 media? Actually the prices for both are the same these days in Ebay.

1/3" lens selection is no where close to 2/3". 2/3" to 1/3" adaptor is disappointing. There will be drastic discounts on this as sales may be low.

Originally posted by ggrantly View Post
              Just announced, the successor to the orphan 370. Near as I can tell the update brings it to par with the PX270 in most respects except for the form factor differences. I really want a shoulder mount form factor, but I would have to really love a shoulder mount a lot to pay 11,499 for one compared to a rebated price for a PX270 of just north of 4k. Really? If it was inline with the old 370 price of around 7k, well maybe. I'm sure it would be a dandy cam regardless, but there are lots of options north of 10k.

Grant

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rd_camera.html
              Last edited by lonewolf2koc@hotmail.com; 08-24-2015, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Smith View Post
                They MIGHT have found a better lens for the PX380, but that could also be why it costs a lot more ...
                Nah, they don't even include a lens! The B&H site says that price is BODY ONLY!

Comment

1/3rd inch chips are not going to work for me for interviews in a small room. I'm glad I still have my older HPX500 with 2/3rd inch chips. Everybody loves the color of my HPX500. For run-and-gun my 250 is still kicking.

Too much for this new camera. Watch for a "fire sell" down the road when they can't sell them. Maybe the cheaper News ENG could use them.
                  I just ordered a Sony a7s with a PilotFly. So I'll have 3 cameras for different shoots. Actually I'll have 5 cameras. My 5D MarkII for timelapse and a small Sony 3D camera.

Comment

I guess I am too simple but why don't they just re-house the PX-270 to make it a shoulder mount? Use the same lens and make it a mini-shoulder cam like the JVC design? Outside of the price, I know I would prefer to have 22x for the zoom than 17x as the PX-270 lens is no slouch. Then the price could be $1000 or $1,500 more and folks would be happy to buy them. ?? How far removed from the working pros are the camera makers? Nobody is going to pay $11,000 for a 1/3" camera these days that is selling for $5,000 as a small cam.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman2003 View Post
                      I guess I am too simple but why don't they just re-house the PX-270 to make it a shoulder mount? Use the same lens and make it a mini-shoulder cam like the JVC design? Outside of the price, I know I would prefer to have 22x for the zoom than 17x as the PX-270 lens is no slouch. Then the price could be $1000 or $1,500 more and folks would be happy to buy them. ?? How far removed from the working pros are the camera makers? Nobody is going to pay $11,000 for a 1/3" camera these days that is selling for $5,000 as a small cam.
                      +1

Comment

Working...
                      X