panasonic s5ii or sony fx30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 euro
    Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

Comment

How much do used FS5 Mark II bodies sell for in your area?

Comment

I have seen for nit less than 2400. I have made a think tÚ the Mark 1 because can be found at good price, but i found not good review, also seems a big object tÚ carry around, isnt'it?
        Lumix GH3 +Neway CL77H +Rokkor MD50 +Rokkor MD135 + Rokkor 35-75 +Lumix 14-45 +Lumix 45-175

Comment

Originally posted by ade4all View Post

I had the R6 before the S5ii - I would say the AF on the Panasonic is better than on the R6. Also much better dynamic range, cleaner image even in apsc mode compared with full frame of R6, full size hdmi instead of the ridiculous micro hdmi on the R6, also you can connect external monitor with S5ii and everything works - R6 screen turns off if you connect a monitor - again ridiculous. And no overheating and no silly 30 minute record limit with S5ii.
          The R6 is a better camera for taking stills but that's it. As I say just adapt Canon ef lenses and you don't have to fully commit to Panasonic, can always pick up a Canon camera with XLR and nd when needed
          Well this is interesting. So my silly post want entirely a waste of pixels.

I think I structured a good argument for putting bucks into canon/sony glass, probably canon as it will work with many 'proper' video cameras.

And you come back suggesting the Panicsonic is a good choice for hanging on the back of your Canon glass.

And it may well be so I will be checking that out.. because per se im not a fan of the R6 .. its just a thing not a thing I love or admire.

large HDMI and no screen switch off are certainly a step beyond the r6 and even the r5 (which I just consider to be an overpirced r6!)

thanks.
          http://www.sammorganmoore.com View my feature Film

Comment

No worries I have to say I do prefer the image also from the S5ii, that extra DR is quite obvious, there's something strange going on in the shadows on the R6, R5 - there is no lattitude there.
            Another plus is the audio takes line in and through my Sound Devides mix pre-d the audio is the best by far from a stills camera. Panasonic take the video side seriously and there are some great deals on the S5ii at the moment.
            The one thing I do miss form the R6 is the cheap but great Meike vari nd adapter, heard they are making one for the Panasonic L mount but not happened yet

Comment

Morgan you shouldn’t get emotionally invested. All these cameras companies play games. Canon is so well known for it they’ve earned the “Canon Cripple hammer” but I have no doubt if the roles were reversed and Panasonic was the market share leader and a cinema line to protect, they be doing the same thing. Panasonic is currently giving us more for less to play catch up. I don’t care what brand I seek out the best value with the features I need.
              Last edited by Peter C.; 01-26-2024, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I have no emotional investment. But do you ever do jobs that need a ND xlr long run video camera ? - maybe a 400 2.8 or 100-400 ? did you ever drop your 24-105 and need to phone a friend and grab a spare for tonights job? Did you ever want a 70-200 for $400?

If the answer is yes to any or all of those questions. Panasonic is not the answer to your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post
                  I have no emotional investment. But do you ever do jobs that need a ND xlr long run video camera ? - maybe a 400 2.8 or 100-400 ? did you ever drop your 24-105 and need to phone a friend and grab a spare for tonights job? Did you ever want a 70-200 for $400?

If the answer is yes to any or all of those questions. Panasonic is not the answer to your needs.
                  We all have different needs so it's understandable one camera might be good enough for one person and not to the next. But I would say plugging an external monitor is a fundamental need, if you're recording to it you can't afford the connection to come lose or wear out. Having a full HDMI isn't a big ask especially for an expensive camera. Canon never says it but you can read between the lines. If you want a more professional connection or if you don't want the screen to black out you should buy our cinema line. Its always some gotcha they have in there. Before you couldn't get clean hdmi out or 30 limit. Both were not hardware limitations they were design in intentionally to segment their models out.
                  Last edited by Peter C.; 01-26-2024, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter C. View Post
                    We all have different needs so it's understandable one camera might be good enough for one person and not to the next. But I would say plugging an external monitor is a fundamental need, if you're recording to it you can't afford the connection to come lose or wear out. Having a full HDMI isn't a big ask especially for an expensive camera. Canon never says it but you can read between the lines. If you want a more professional connection or if you don't want the screen to black out you should but our cinema line. Its always some gotcha they have in there. Before you couldn't get clean hdmi out or 30 limit. Both were not hardware limitations they were design in intentionally to segment their models out.
                    Indeed. Agreed. That was my post. Seeing value in the suggestion that hanging a full hdmi panny on the back of some canon lenses might be better than hanging a pico hdmi canon mirrorles on the back of some canon lenses

Because of the value of a monitor when working for a director I do wonder if full hdmi 'out the side' is enough. Thats why I suggest being able to buy/rent and hang an sdi camera off your lenses is important.

Having shot B on a feature with a full hdmi 'out the side' sony - I can vouch for thier full HDMI being non robust.

For solo shooting I feel monitors have become less essential (see the atomos thread?).. in DSLRs of 2020 or before with a 480 screen and no evf when shooting video a monitor was needed. A modern mirrorles, especially with AF can be used well solo with no monitor especially the green box MF on the canon. The evf is the only thing that actually makes me feel warm about my r6.

Comment

Originally posted by morgan_moore View Post

Indeed. Agreed. That was my post. Seeing value in the suggestion that hanging a full hdmi panny on the back of some canon lenses might be better than hanging a pico hdmi canon mirrorles on the back of some canon lenses

Because of the value of a monitor when working for a director I do wonder if full hdmi 'out the side' is enough. Thats why I suggest being able to buy/rent and hang an sdi camera off your lenses is important.

Having shot B on a feature with a full hdmi 'out the side' sony - I can vouch for thier full HDMI being non robust.

For solo shooting I feel monitors have become less essential (see the atomos thread?).. in DSLRs of 2020 or before with a 480 screen and no evf when shooting video a monitor was needed. A modern mirrorles, especially with AF can be used well solo with no monitor especially the green box MF on the canon. The evf is the only thing that actually makes me feel warm about my r6.

so, again, you suggest r6?mark 1 over mark 2?
                      mark2 seems intreresting, at least on specs. Mark 1 not that much..am i wrong? It is expensive though (the 2)
                      Last edited by stefanocps; 01-27-2024, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Im sure the mk2 is better - i just bought the mk1 a few years ago.

its just a camera with af and an evf to hang on the back of my canon lenses

i also have a c200 and work with alexas on “big” shoots

Comment

Originally posted by Imamacuser View Post
                          How much do used FS5 Mark II bodies sell for in your area?

It Is a while that someone Is selling fs5mk2 for 1800. May be It can accept less since seems It Is not easy tÚ sell that quite old tool for that price.And that Is the point... even if It was a very good machine Is still worthy?newer camera have improved a lot in every aspect, so Is It reasonable tÚ buy It for the same price of lets say an FX30?

Comment

It's already been a month you still trying to decide?

Comment

No i am waiting for a good occasion on a used fx30.Meanwhile i see other occasione coming out now and then, i Remember that fs5 was suggested, and that Is something different from the other cameras

Actually Just Yesterday i made AN offer on a locali online market and It was.accepted
                              But then i asked for a warranty prof and he disappeared.Or may be he Just received a Better offer and now he do that. This used market has becone really really tiring, with Crazy proces for 2nd hamd stuff
                              Last edited by stefanocps; 02-24-2024, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stefanocps View Post
                                No i am waiting for a good occasion on a used fx30.Meanwhile i see other occasione coming out now and then, i Remember that fs5 was suggested, and that Is something different from the other cameras

Actually Just Yesterday i made AN offer on a locali online market and It was.accepted
                                But then i asked for a warranty prof and he disappeared.Or may be he Just received a Better offer and now he do that. This used market has becone really really tiring, with Crazy proces for 2nd hamd stuff
                                I'll throw a spanner in the works here. I've chosen one of the two cameras in the following video and very happy with the results. For me, image quality and dynamic range won out because in both cases the IQ and dynamic range differences were very noticeable in extreme conditions. Especially the dynamic range!

Chris Young

Comment

Working...
                                X