UX90 ROP Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UX90 ROP Questions

Hi everyone! This is, I think, my first post here in over a decade! But, I have a question about the Panasonic UX90 cameras and I couldn't think of a better place to go.

I have an event video production company, specializing in live, multi-camera production and live streaming. For this purpose, I decided to go with the UX90 cameras because of their low cost and overall performance. They have proven to be a great choice, consistently delivering excellent results for the events I cover.

To make the UX90 more suitable for this kind of live production work, I have developed my own sled-style studio camera adapter. This adapter powers the camera, converts the HDMI to SDI, has built-in tally lights, intercom, and large, 10" studio monitor. However, I don't have any way to dial in camera settings remotely. Instead, I have to rely on the camera operators to adjust things as needed. This works, as usually we preset the white balance, gain, image profile, shutter, and f-stop. Most of the time the camera operators don't need to change any of this, but occasionally, with some events, they do need to adjust the aperture on the fly.

I would like to have the ability to remotely adjust these camera settings, taking that workload off of my camera operators. I know that this is the AG-ROP app for iPads that, along with Panasonic's AJ-WM50P wireless adapter allows remote control of the camera. If this is the only option for remote camera operation, obviously I don't have much of a choice here. But, before I take the leap, I want to know if there are any other options. Specifically, I have the following questions:
    • Does anyone have any experience with the AG-ROP app and can provide any insight into its usefulness?
    • Are there any alternatives to the AJ-WM50P wireless adapter? $160 for a USB wifi-dongle seems pretty steep, especially when I'm looking at having to get one for multiple cameras.
    • Are there any alternatives to the AG-ROP control app?
      • For example, would the AK-HRP1010GJ work to control the UX90s if they are all on the same network?
      • Does Panasonic have any kind of SDK or developer info available to facilitate building a custom control solution?
    Thanks!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

A bit expensive and complicated but if you feel the need...

I have not used it myself. The setup is more straight forward if you were next to the camera there is an additional layer of complexity connecting it to an outside network (might not be hard if you're network savvy). Barry has a video that lays out the basics if you were next to the camera using an iPad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgGxM5O6G9g

My reading of the compatibility chart the controller is only for PTZ style cameras.
    https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/prod...ibility_chart/
    Talk to a Panasonic tech support for a definitive answer.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 11-30-2022, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you, Peter, for the quick reply. I have seen the video you linked to, and I am fairly savvy when it comes to networking, so configuring the cameras to operate on my flypack's mobile network isn't a concern. I just don't want to throw money away, so I wanted to make sure that there weren't any other remote operation solutions first. I would have thought/hoped that since Panasonic has multiple cameras that can be controlled via a network connection, to some extent, and multiple devices that can do that controlling, that they had standardized that control protocol, and maybe even published it somewhere. Ideally, I would like to be able to write my own CCU application that I could run on a laptop, or even built a custom device for with an arduino or similar microcontroller.

Comment

Working...
      X